Firefox Memory Use & Cache Status App

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
I posted about Firefox being a memory hog awhile back, and some people recommended using the "Cache Status" App for Firefox. I finally tired it a couple days ago, but I don't see it keeping down the amount of RAM Firefox is using. The RAM amount viewed in Task Manager just keeps going up and up as time goes on. I clear all the RAM and Disk Cache with Cash Status but the RAM usage doesn't decrease at all. The only way I can get the physical RAM usage down is to close Firefox and restart it. What good is Cache Status?

Snaphot of Cache Status

Snapshot of Task Manager showing Firefox RAM usage

I just check my FireFox (FF) in task mgr, and after being on for hours, it's only 307K. I think you have many hidden apps running (spyware? trackers, cookies, etc) ...

Load Privacy Badger (app) and let that control your "pop-ups"...

How do you have your security configured in FF ?

What's your home screen? If it's Google, that's half your answer
frown.gif

Use IxQuick or DuckDuck or one of the private non-tracking search engines
smile.gif

Last edited:
I don't think I've ever seen FF with a 2GB running size. That's huge. Something's got to be wrong with it.
It hurts, but doing a zero-level reinstall would help

The Reset Firefox feature can fix many issues by restoring Firefox to its factory default state while saving your essential information. Note: This will cause you to lose any Extensions, Open websites, and some Preferences.

To Reset Firefox do the following:

Go to Firefox > Help > Troubleshooting Information.
Click the "Reset Firefox" button.
Firefox will close and reset. After Firefox is done, it will show a window with the information that is imported. Click Finish.
Firefox will open with all factory defaults applied.

Further information can be found in the Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings article.

Originally Posted By: spackard
I don't think I've ever seen FF with a 2GB running size. That's huge. Something's got to be wrong with it.
It hurts, but doing a zero-level reinstall would help

The Reset Firefox feature can fix many issues by restoring Firefox to its factory default state while saving your essential information. Note: This will cause you to lose any Extensions, Open websites, and some Preferences.

To Reset Firefox do the following:

Go to Firefox > Help > Troubleshooting Information.
Click the "Reset Firefox" button.
Firefox will close and reset. After Firefox is done, it will show a window with the information that is imported. Click Finish.
Firefox will open with all factory defaults applied.

Further information can be found in the Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings article.

LOL! You must not run enough tabs
grin.gif

My primary Chrome process (OSX) is 2.04GB right now, and then there's another roughly 2GB in "Google Chrome Helper" threads below that. I've had similar experiences with Firefox when one gets tab-happy.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
What good is Cache Status?

Cache Status is useless, IMO.

I have a similar issue where after a few hours of running, FF eats up my computer's entire RAM and I get a Windows notification that it needs to be shut down in order for my computer to continue running. I have still not been able to figure out what is causing it.

That is strange. I cannot replicate such an event on Windows at the office, and I can be playing around in FF for a long time. I'll actually have to see what the memory usage is like.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
I just check my FireFox (FF) in task mgr, and after being on for hours, it's only 307K. I think you have many hidden apps running (spyware? trackers, cookies, etc) ...

Might be because I have about 55 tabs opened up.
grin.gif

55 tabs - that's an average of 42,706 KB per tab, not an unreasonable memory usage for FF.
That's the way it runs.

Originally Posted By: spackard
55 tabs - that's an average of 42,706 KB per tab, not an unreasonable memory usage for FF.
That's the way it runs.

Yeah, I need to get into the habit of not having so many tabs open.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
The current version of FireFox 57.0.3 64 bit is very good at cache management.

I'm still running FF 56, purposely holding off on 57 until I hear it's better and stable. Might be time to update to 57 now.

I'm on FF 56 as well because some of the add-ons I use don't work in FF 57, but my out-of-memory issues happen even if I only have a few tabs open. I think it may be specific websites that cause my FF RAM usage to go wild, but I have not been able to pin point them yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back