Frozen Wiper Reservoir Container

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two days ago I had to go to the bank at about 2 PM. The night before the temperature had dipped down to 22* real feel 9*. I forgot to put some blue stuff in my wiper reservoir. It was a balmy 25* when I went to the bank, which is 6 miles away. Upon hitting the wash button, NOTHING! Not even a noise from the motor. I drove to the bank, did my business, and about halfway home, the motor started making noise. Then, about another mile or less, water FINALLY started coming from the jets.
I posted this for those in the VERY COLD areas, add the blue stuff! I was very lucky nothing broke on my system.
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

I generally use -20F "all season" fluid in the summer and just finished a jug of -30F winter stuff...the lowest claimed freezing temp I could find to replace it was -27F!
?????
The new stuff was Prestone (yes, I made sure it wasn't coolant!), the WM Supertech winter stuff only claimed -25F.

2 years ago I bought some cheaper -30C stuff and it froze! It seemed to separate as it froze as well as it got up to -10 C and the lines were still frozen, but a bit of gas line antifreeze thawed it out finally.

LOL... did happen to me once... the Splash blue that I usually buy comes in two versions, one "summer" version, good down to 32* and one "all season" version, good down to -20*. I had the 32* in the system at the beginning of winter by mistake
blush.gif

Some of the cheaper winter fluids just have alcohol that can evaporate out of the water and still allow it to freeze on the windshield, or in the reservoir if it is old enough. I just run better Pres-tone winter fluid all year round, I don't use enough in the summer to worry about the small added expense. Also, be careful of the blue fluid, some of it is not much more than blue water and freezes at 32 deg. F. It is summer use only.

I stock up on the colder temperature Rain-X fluid in the winter. Not sure if they sell it all year - but I also don't want to get caught with summer stuff in my washer reservoir when winter rolls around.

Originally Posted By: fenixguy
I use Rain-X orange year round. I've never had my washer fluid freeze with it.

I had a bad experience with Rain-X orange, felt like stuff was building up on my windshield and I also had to wipe the blades off fairly often.
I know a lot of people love it and it sells well, just wasn't for me.

Originally Posted By: fenixguy
I use Rain-X orange year round. I've never had my washer fluid freeze with it.

Same here. Less than $3 a gallon at Walmart.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I generally use -20F "all season" fluid in the summer and just finished a jug of -30F winter stuff...the lowest claimed freezing temp I could find to replace it was -27F!
?????
The new stuff was Prestone (yes, I made sure it wasn't coolant!), the WM Supertech winter stuff only claimed -25F.

Try Advance or Auto Zone-they have the Prestone de-icer, or Windex-branded de-icer. (It's purple.) Both work exceptionally well-better, I have found, than the Rain-X stuff.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
What are these mystical products and strange numbers you talk of?

You're talking in riddles!

It's OK-the really good stuff is illegal in California.

Originally Posted By: WishIhadatruck
Some of the cheaper winter fluids just have alcohol that can evaporate out of the water and still allow it to freeze on the windshield, or in the reservoir if it is old enough.

I hate to add a little rubbing alcohol to mine last week, because it was freezing in the sprayer nozzles

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

To buy windshield washer fluid at Walmart, the cashier has to verify you are at least 18.

WHY ? !? ? !??

Originally Posted By: WishIhadatruck
Some of the cheaper winter fluids just have alcohol that can evaporate out of the water and still allow it to freeze on the windshield, or in the reservoir if it is old enough. I just run better Pres-tone winter fluid all year round, I don't use enough in the summer to worry about the small added expense. Also, be careful of the blue fluid, some of it is not much more than blue water and freezes at 32 deg. F. It is summer use only.

Ive experienced this too.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

To buy windshield washer fluid at Walmart, the cashier has to verify you are at least 18.

WHY ? !? ? !??

Some people drink it, when I first started in this business some radiator antifreeze was still sold in metal cans and were alcohol based, they drank that too along with after shaves and hand sanitizer. Remember Kitty Dukakis drinking the rubbing alcohol (some say old spice) and was rushed to the hospital?

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: Linctex

WHY ? !? ? !??

Some people drink it, when I first started in this business some radiator antifreeze was still sold in metal cans and were alcohol based, they drank that too along with after shaves and hand sanitizer. Remember Kitty Dukakis drinking the rubbing alcohol (some say old spice) and was rushed to the hospital?

Wow..nasty. it makes sense that you need authorization but I dont think its only an under 18 problem...always found it weird when buying random things in the USA that it would require cashier to "ok" it. Doesnt happen up here.

I use the cheap blue stuff in winter and never had it freeze. Sometimes a bbit weak to spray out until its very hot, but thats about it. I used to use Rain X orange as well but I also found it built up on my windshield and created a smudgy grime. I will try maybe another rain x type product in summer, as I appreciate the water beading abilities during heavy rainfalls.

I've noticed in southern states, the 'blue stuff' on shelves is 32f (freeze) during summer/spring and they only switch it to 0f in fall/winter.
Some stores have both mixed on the shelves.

Gotta pay attention to what you are buying, and make sure you use up all the 32f stuff in your reservoir before fall/winter comes . . .

yeah, the orange stuff is 0f year round, but costs $$

I think the problem is finding the colder weather stuff in the South. When I live in Mississippi I always bought the 0°F RainX stuff, but I remember several times it would freeze around 15°F. Ordered some -20 stuff through work (hardware/building supply) and never had that problem again. Although the general public didn't have much access to it in those parts. I suppose you could try and order some through a hardware store that has a nationwide hardware vendor, but realistically it rarely reaches those temps down there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back