Dex 6 vs Auto Trak II for GM Transfer Cases

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried to search the forum for info on Auto Trak II but couldn't find much. Since about 2007 or 08, GM has been using transfer cases build by Magna Powertrain. Two of the models are Auto Transfer cases, in other words, they have an Auto setting that allows the 4WD system to sense wheel slippage and apply the internal clutches to engage the system. The two are MP 3023 and MP 3024. The owners manuals for all the GM trucks since 2008 call for Dexron 6 for the transfer cases and a service interval of 45,000 to 50,000 miles for severe duty. I got in touch with two GM dealers from two different cities to confirm that I should be using Dexron 6 for the MP3024 transfer case but both told me I should be using Auto Trak II because its an "Auto" transfer case. The owners manual does not reflect this. Has anyone else seen this advice from the GM dealer? Please keep this discussion to just Auto Trak II vs Dexron 6. I know there is other advice out there for other fluids, but I just want to clarify the advice that's coming from GM. Thanks.

This is a detail of the transfer case, its specs Dexron VI.

Quote:
Several models are available
for each application, including the
1222/1225 and 1226 manually shifted
units, the 1625/1626 electrically shifted
units, and the 3023 and 3024 auto/
active transfer case models (figure 1).
All models use DEXRON VI fluid.
The models features are shown in the
accompanying chart. (Chart 1)

http://www.evopower.ca/mrws/filedriver/MP_Transfer_Cases.pdf

I also found this..

Quote:
All Magna Powertrain (MP) Transfer Case use ATF (Dexron VI)

No more AutoTrac fluid from 2007 on

I believe the Auto Trak II is just Dex3 with more friction modifiers. Most use Dex6 or other synthetic trans fluid now as replacement.
You can also use Valvolines Transfer case fluid. Most parts stores carry it.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the thoughts on the alternate fluids but I’m most interested in finding out why the GM dealers where recommending Auto Trak when the owners manual clearly said Dextron VI. Has anyone ever seen a Service Bulletin on this? Thanks.

SF

My sources call for Dexron VI in Magna transfer cases, Auto Trak II fluid is for the Auto & Part Time Auto New Venture-New Process transfer cases like the NP246.

+1 mine too. I was a the GM dealer this AM and asked a friend of mine to look for a TSB, nothing. Dex VI is the recommended fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back