New color laser printer

Status
Not open for further replies.
After I concluded my Samsung laser printer was ready for boneyard, I looked around and picked up a Xerox Phaser 6510. It has auto duplex and wireless. A little bigger footprint than the old Samsung. But faster printing and excellent looking color. One thing this printer has over the old Samsung is 4 drums, vs a single drum in old printer. They each had 4 toner cartridges. I assume that 4 drums is better technology.

I get a $40 rebate for mailing in the old Samsung for recycling. So about $250 for new printer.

I think the 4 drums puts the colors on much faster than single-drum (where it would have to make 4 passes). You'll probably have flatter prints too, old ones curled a lot.

Our company gave Xerox the boot recently, going with Ricoh. Xerox printers had reliability problems, but the real difference is the scanner and .pdf renderer, very poor performance, low resolution, and, if pushed to 300x300dpi froze at about 50 pages. I think the scanner performance is what made the change necessary.

I print books, but I'm old, and believe in reading a lot before installing and using software. Younger generations barely print at all. But, they ask a lot of questions (that are in the manuals).

The paper check coming out of the Xerox laser printer are only warm, where as the paper coming out of Samsung BW laser printer are hot.

Different toner?

I've noticed new printers have cooler printouts. I think they've designed more efficient fusers. That's where most of the power goes to. At one time I've put a Kill-A-Watt on a printer; the fuser's heater cycles on and off and the power draw is amazing when the heater is on.

Originally Posted By: spackard
I've noticed new printers have cooler printouts. I think they've designed more efficient fusers. That's where most of the power goes to. At one time I've put a Kill-A-Watt on a printer; the fuser's heater cycles on and off and the power draw is amazing when the heater is on.

Older printers used to use a quartz halogen bulb to heat the fuser. Now, the industry is headed towards ceramic PTC elements - HP/Canon went that direction. Toner formulation also matters too - most color lasers used silicone oil to keep the fuser from picking up toner. Canon "seeds" their toner with wax, dunno what Fuji Xerox or Lexmark does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back