Harvest King full syn is Dexos Gen2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seen that Harvest King full syn at Rural King is Dexos1 Gen2 certified. At 9.99 for a 5 quart jug it looks like a good deal. What do you guys think? Would there be any benefit to using say Valvoline or Castrol over this stuff in a 5k OCI?

I'd guess no difference at any oil change time you choose compared to Valv or Castrol black bottle Syntec.
Harvest King dexos1 Gen2 is an incredibly great deal on oil.

Many complain about not living close to a Rural King to buy the stuff. But since that's not an issue for you. Supertech synthetic at WM is about $17/jug. So yes a great deal.

It would be just fine for 5-7k miles. Made by Citgo and Dexos approved it will be just fine. If I had a RK near me I would buy it and try it too.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Keep seeing all these harvest king deals, and never been in one of their stores. I lived in NY and Texas.

Harvest King oil is sold in Atwoods Farm and Ranch in Texas...

do you have one near you?

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Keep seeing all these harvest king deals, and never been in one of their stores. I lived in NY and Texas.

Gebo's as well

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: SR5
Here is a HK VOA
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4227748/

Calcium looks low enough there to suggest that they may have been able to get through the dexos1 Gen 2 LSPI test without a new formulation.
Guess I wouldn't be surprised if the d1G2 version has been reformulated, anyway, there are more changes than just LSPI testing in Gen 2 to worry about.

Looking back, I'm not sure if the VOA (October 2016) is D1G1 or D1G2.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Here is a HK VOA
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4227748/

Calcium looks low enough there to suggest that they may have been able to get through the dexos1 Gen 2 LSPI test without a new formulation.
Guess I wouldn't be surprised if the d1G2 version has been reformulated, anyway, there are more changes than just LSPI testing in Gen 2 to worry about.

Looking back, I'm not sure if the VOA (October 2016) is D1G1 or D1G2.

Don't think it could have been labelled as Gen 2 at that time since the standard did not replace Gen 1 until September of 2017, but I'd guess it's possible that the oil could have reflected a Gen 2 formulation that early. The M1 AP grades that were dexos1 eligible had Gen 2 licenses when they were introduced well before 9/17, since they were new formulations and Gen 2 is a superset of Gen 1 it must have made more sense to give them license numbers for a standard that was not actually in effect at the time rather than give them Gen 1 numbers that would shortly be switched over to Gen 2.

Using Harvest King 0W20 in my wife's HR-V and daughters Elantra, and the Rural King where I live sells the Fram Ultra for $7.99 which is about a dollar cheaper than Walmart. A synthetic oil change with a Fram Ultra for well under $20 is tough to beat.

For those of you that dont have Rural King nearby you might have a Fleet Farm. Well Fleet Farm has Resolute Synthetic dexos Gen2 0w20, 5w20, 5w30, 10w30 for $3 a quart and sometimes on sale for $2.67 a quart. This resolute oil is also made by Citgo so its perfect for a 7500 mile interval. Thought i would pitch in.

Originally Posted By: farrarfan1
A synthetic oil change with a Fram Ultra for well under $20 is tough to beat.

Impressive.

I think i'm going to give it a try. With the fuel dilution these can be prone to I won't go over 5k no matter what oil I use. Thanks for the input fellas!

Originally Posted By: Linctex

Thanks I am near Austin. The nearest would be i35 in Waco. About 60-90 minutes north of the house.

Will stop by Atwoods the next time I get up to DFW. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back