Castrol 5w-30; 13k mi; 61k mile on Toyota 4.0L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my first oil analysis. I don't know if these results are good or not from the numbers and comments. 2013 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 4.0L V6; 13,000 mile OCI on Castrol Edge EP 5W-30 and Fram Ultra filter; 61,000 miles on engine at the time of oil change.

Last edited by a moderator:
When was the air filter last changed and what brand is in there now?

I would go with a Fram or an oem one second. I looked at various brand air filters and many of them looked super cheap/flimsy etc...

Definitely check your air intake for any leaks and get a new air filter if you haven’t changed it in a while.

Where's the TBN reading? Total Base Number tells you how exhausted the oil is, TBN of 1-2 or less - replace!

Surprised it's blank, they charge extra for that? See bottom of report.

Silcon is really high.

Stop dirt from getting in the engine,
and the aluminum numbers will come way down, even with 13,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: CT8
The air filter is the most important oil filter.
This^^^^

Right with the air filters but many of them out there are pretty flimsy looking. So a Fram or oem would be my first two choices in that order.

Why do you guys think it needs a new air filter? Air filter efficiency should improve as the filter gets dirtier/loads up.

Originally Posted By: dgunay
Why do you guys think it needs a new air filter? Air filter efficiency should improve as the filter gets dirtier/loads up.

Fair enough, but if you have an inferior quality air filter, more contaminants can get through. And it will give you and opportunity to check the intake system and filter fit for leaks.

I think you may be extending your intervals a bit too far. Iron is the one wear metal that should be proportional to miles and yours is high compared to universal averages on that basis. The aluminum number seems high as well. If it were me, I'd do the air filter routine and reduce the OCI quite a bit, especially if it includes winter driving conditions.

If you're inclined to do another UOA, consider Polaris/Oil Analyzers Inc. They're cheaper, provide TBN and measure fuel dilution directly. They don't provide customized commentary or universal averages, but I think you know those now.

If you really believe that some of use here have some 6 month to one year old efficiency tuned filters we'll sell you for our cost and shipping of course. This is the second time I've offered them in a month and no one's jumped at this bargain?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZZman
Is Sodium part of the Castrol add pack?

Im guessing so, I dont think 56 ppm would indicate it being from another issue.

High Silicon could be that the filter isnt seated correctly in the airbox, resulting in particles contaminating the oil. Id replace the filter and clean and inspect the airbox for any issues.

I would also reduce your interval to 10,000 and send in another sample for UOA to see how it looks.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

If you really believe that some of use here have some 6 month to one year old efficiency tuned filters we'll sell you for our cost and shipping of course. This is the second time I've offered them in a month and no one's jumped at this bargain?

I don't claim anything. Just asking, it is just a question, and looking for a simple answer, not sarcastic comments.

If an air filter gets clogged or loaded up, does it have better efficiency?

If the answer is Yes, than new air filter won't fix it. You need to check if there is a leak in the intake system.

Also, I do not see anything wrong with the UOA. OP run the oil 2.5x more than universal averages. Wear metals are slightly higher than averages, nothing to worry about. I wish we were able to see TBN, but I guess you need to shorten the OCI. I'd try 10-12k mile OCI next time and see if it makes things better.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

I don't claim anything. Just asking, it is just a question, and looking for a simple answer, not sarcastic comments.

If an air filter gets clogged or loaded up, does it have better efficiency?

If the answer is Yes, than new air filter won't fix it. You need to check if there is a leak in the intake system.

Also, I do not see anything wrong with the UOA. OP run the oil 2.5x more than universal averages. Wear metals are slightly higher than averages, nothing to worry about. I wish we were able to see TBN, but I guess you need to shorten the OCI. I'd try 10-12k mile OCI next time and see if it makes things better.

Well you want to buy one of my efficiency tuned filters then don't you?

I, for one, believe that air filter efficiency increases with use. Here's why I believe this ...

Jim Allen, our member here, and noted automotive magazine writer, penned an article about air filtration, after touring both Fram and Parker facilities, where he spoke directly with lab techs and engineers about said topic.
Link to article: http://www.trailerlife.com/tech/diy/the-truth-about-engine-air-filtration/
"Jon Wake, air filtration product manager at Parker Filtration (home of Racor), said “a filter might start at an initial 98 percent but within just a few thousand miles, it’s gone up a full percentage point and by the time it reaches 20 to 25 inches of water vacuum, the usual maximum restriction range, efficiency has reached 99.9 percent". Two percent doesn’t seem like much on paper, but to your engine it’s a big deal. Going from 98 to 99 percent is a 50 percent decrease in the amount of dirt that makes it into your engine. This is why early or overly frequent filter changes are not advised because, according to Wake, 90 percent of the lifetime amount of dirt that passes through a filter does so in the first 10 percent of use."
Thus indicating that air filters most certainly do improve their efficiency as they accumulate use.

Unless there's been some recent use of silicone sealer, the only other source of the reading potentially, I would suspect an air intake tract leak in the UOA of this thread because the Si is so high for the OCI. Si should generally be a fairly flat value; a well sealed air intake system won't allow much Si in after it's initial seating and few thousand miles. So presuming that the air filter was not changed at the same time of the OCI, then the Si should be nice and low throughout. But it's 39ppm in 13k miles; that's larger than we'd expect to see. Hence, I suspect an air leak somewhere. That leak might be a tear in the media of the filter, or it could be a leaking connection joint, or a hole in the tubing ... Investigation and thorough work is what's needed here, not conjecture and mud-slinging.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back