1 time use of HM oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 6 quarts of Mobil 1 10W-30 HM oil that I'd like to use in our 2017 2.3 EcoBoost Explorer, because I have it left over. This oil has a 3.5 HTHS and a ACEA rating of A3/B3 I believe. Which sounds perfect for a 4 cylinder DI Turbo engine. This would be a 1 time use for this summers trip to FL from NJ., lots of HOT high speed driving. I know what the manual says, and I've been doing even better. But my question is will a one time use of Mobil 1 HM oil cause swelled seals that will leak if I go back to the regular Mobil 1 5W-30. I know what Pat Goss said, yes it will. I tried to email Mobil's email tech address and it was not working. I called the number on the site and I think I got the cafeteria as nobody new anything about oil
21.gif
. I'm just looking to see if a one time use of HM oil causes irreversible damage to the engine seals, that's all, thanks.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
But my question is will a one time use of Mobil 1 HM oil cause swelled seals that will leak if I go back to the regular Mobil 1 5W-30?

From everything I have read on this forum, the simple answer is NO.

I wouldn't think it would affect your seals at all being they should still be in good shape.

I can't say for your vehicle specifically, but I've used the HM version periodically when the normal 5W30 or 0W30 AFE was out of stock at Walmart, went back to the non-HM after that and no leaks. If you're really worried (I wouldn't be), use it up slowly in your lawn mower, or 1 qt at a time with each change on the Explorer.

If you run HM oil, and the soften seals start leaking (its really 50/50) whether seal swell agents actually cause a leak. If you weren't already leaking .

Seal swell agents will soften and swell any seals, they touch. It wont hurt to go back to normal oil though, what ever damage will already have been done..

IMO , don't even run a seal swell agent unless , you are trying to fix a leak.

Those seals are so new, it won't do anything. They have to have lost plasticizers before the additives start to do much. Yours will just shrug it off and cruise on
smile.gif

And if your modern seals are made of Viton (fluoroplymer) then it won't make a fig of difference either way, new (hurting) or old (helping) as Viton is very chemically stable.

I use Valvoline HM Synthetic once per year as my winter oil and go back to conventional for the rest of the year and have had no problems with leaks or consumption in a 99 Explorer .

^^^^^

I agree with SilverFusion.

And Whimsey get ready for a big whomping storm especially if you are near the Atlantic coast.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bbhero
^^^^^

I agree with SilverFusion.

And Whimsey get ready for a big whomping storm especially if you are near the Atlantic coast.

Poor atlantic maritime region. They take the brunt of it, all the time. The storm you're talking about is being called a "Cyclone bomb" what a ridiculous time to live, where the weather is drunk af and the descriptors are more and more war-related...just a week ago they had to deal with hurricane force winds---- in the absence of a hurricane.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
It won't hurt it. Great choice for that motor.

+1 And i will add that continued use will not cause harm to or cause seal leaks. HM oils do not contain seal sweller's but rather seal conditioners. Causing a seal to "swell" would be a sure fire way to break it down and cause leaks. Conditioners keep seals pliable and therefore in good shape longer.

API SN oils all have to fall within spec of SN requirements, HM oil or not. Now, the HM oil may have a little more seal conditioner, but it still must meet SN spec. If your OE recommends SN, any SN will work just fine.

I've never seen or heard of an Owner's Manual which states, "API SN is recommended, except for high mileage oils"

With new SEALING materials VITON seals & such in a 2017 EB ,not desired when . HM oil came out some years ago they had a usefull purpose not now . I use will an A5- B5 PCMO if it was me .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back