Fuel System treatment - Best option for long trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to run some fuel system cleaner through the truck this weekend since I’ll be making a 150 mile interstate run so I figured now would be a good time to run some cleaner.

What is the best cleaner when comparing these?
Berryman B12
Techron Concentrate
Regane
BG44K
Lucas
STP

What is the #1 ingredient I should look for in a cleaner than will give me the best results? I probably don’t need the strongest cleaner out there since I’ve usually always run either Shell, BP or Exxon. I’ve used Techron Concentrate exclusively in the past with maybe a bottle here or there of Lucas and really cannot tell a different during or after.

I’m not sure if that means it’s not really working or if my system is already pretty clean.

I want to try Berryman but heard it's a pretty strong cleaner (and close to BG44K) so not sure I really need that but I wanted to get some opinions.

Truck is a 2008 Silverado w/ 5.3

Polyether Amine (PEA) is the proven ingredient, and you need it in a decent quantity. Lots of cleaners have it but at some ridiculous level like 1%.

I'm a bit behind, but last I checked, these are known to have large quantities of PEA in the neighborhood of 20%+:

Red Line SI-1
Amsoil Performance Improver (PI)
Chevron Techron Concentrate
Gumout Regane Fuel System Cleaner

The first four on your list would be very good. A good one, two punch would be a tank of Techron, followed by a tank of Berryman's B12.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Polyether Amine (PEA) is the proven ingredient, and you need it in a decent quantity. Lots of cleaners have it but at some ridiculous level like 1%.

I'm a bit behind, but last I checked, these are known to have large quantities of PEA in the neighborhood of 20%+:

Red Line SI-1

Agree with this/this list.

beside what others recommended,
can I suggest a run to Atlanta and back over the mountains?
Source: I have a tiny-bitty '08 yaris... Let's just say, it opened up a bit after that....

I've been running 640:1 TC-W3 at every fill in my Porsche for the last 3k miles. I've got spark plugs coming up in
If running TC-W3 at every fill doesn't appeal to you, BG44K is the most aggressive on your list.

What would be the next best after BG44K? It's not found as easy here but I can get all the others easy.

Would Berryman be too strong if I were to let it sit in the tank for a week? I would burn around half the tank on the trip so the other half would sit about a week.

I would be filling up with Shell, BP or Exxon at the same time.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
24/7/365 TCW-3 lubed fuel:

What is this engine? Did it was dirtier than this before running tcw3?

Originally Posted By: dparm

Red Line SI-1

Now that I know what to look for (after doing some quick research) I've narrow down my list to what I can get easily and locally.

Berryman B12
Techron Concentrate
Red Line SI-1

Berryman has Toluene as the main component. How does that compare to PEA? Is it a good cleaner?

Would Berryman be too strong if I were to let it sit in the tank for a week? I would burn around half the tank on the trip so the other half would sit about a week.

I would be filling up with Shell, BP or Exxon at the same time.

Last edited:
Since you use toptier fuels there prob isn't too much of a need for fuel cleaners. But wouldn't hurt to run an interval of Techron. I think the Berryman's might be a little bit of overkill here.

For gas stations I prefer Shell over BP since the car seems to run a bit smoother on it. But also focus on newer, high volume places instead of a mom & pop place that is old with low volume.

Toluene is a common component of gasoline...I'd have a hard time believing that it is the main cleaning element in Berryman's. It can also be used to raise octane without using questionable compounds like MMT...of course, alcohols are good for that, too.

STP Fuel System Treatment also contains PEA, but I'm not sure at what level and I threw a weird code that disabled my turbo the one time I used that stuff. Was likely just an odd coincidence and I cleared the code using Torque Pro with no problem, but I'm not inclined to buy it again. YMMV...

Buy all 6 products and run them every other full tank
grin.gif
crackmeup2.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Toluene is a common component of gasoline...I'd have a hard time believing that it is the main cleaning element in Berryman's.

It's good for cleaning off varnish, and nothing else.

It does nothing for hard carbon, which is what PEA excels at.

Originally Posted By: Superflan
Originally Posted By: dblshock
24/7/365 TCW-3 lubed fuel:

What is this engine? Did it was dirtier than this before running tcw3?

Honda Rubicon 500, ten years on TCW-3.

Sheesh! Or go to WM and buy some Techron for $6. Done. I can see if the truck was a dirty runner but this one has seen toptier fuel regularly. Not some dirty girl squirrel we're talking about here. That one above is pure overkill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back