E85 Storage and Pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
I drive an 08 135i and have been running E50 since last year. The most diifult part of running E85 is storing it, transporting it and getting it into my tank. I've gone through 3 pump tansfers from amazon within a year. Any suggestions or options on storage and transfering? I buy 2 5 gallon tanks fill them up and that'll last me 3 weeks. Thanks

Originally Posted By: Nrok83
I drive an 08 135i and have been running E50 since last year. The most difficult part of running E85 is storing it, transporting it and getting it into my tank. I've gone through 3 pump transfers from amazon within a year. Any suggestions or options on storage and transferring? I buy 2 5 gallon tanks fill them up and that'll last me 3 weeks. Thanks

Is that a typo about E85? Doesn't your BMW owner's manual say:

Quote:
Do not fill the tank with E85, i.e. fuel containing 85% ethanol, nor with FlexFuel. Otherwise the engine and fuel supply system will be damaged.

You appeared to be confused about oil in your previous thread so maybe that carries over into fuel as well. Can you post some pictures of your storage and transfer setup for the fuel? I'd like to see what you've got.

Sorry let me re-clarify some things. I'm running Ethanol fuel lines and an ethanol sensor prior to using the E85 (installed last year). The app tells me the exact content reading.
Here's the sensor:
http://www.fuel-it.biz/bluetooth-flex-fuel-analyzer/

Upgraded fuel lines:
http://www.fuel-it.biz/e-series-135i-and-335i-fuel-line-and-ethanol-sensor-upgrade/

Plus I upgraded my low pressure fuel pump to a stage 2 LPFP, because the factory one was weak and failing:
http://www.fuel-it.biz/e-series-bucketless-lpfp-upgrade/

He purchases E85 at the gas station and blends it in his car to 50% ethanol content. I just use VP Racing Jugs with the fill hose which can be bought on Amazon.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
How is E85 turning into E50?

E50

In the picture I added is the sensor giving me the current ethanol rating in my tank. I always have it at E50, however today I need to run to the gas station. My problem is the gas station that sells the E85 is 25 miles away from my house (one way).

You can buy more fuel storage cans like the NATO 20ltr ones or you could buy a truck and install an aux fuel tank in the bed with a pump.

The former option would be cheap and portable and the latter would be quite expensive.

If you go a different route and buy a large fuel storage tank like an airport would have, then that could carry HOA or insurance implications.

E85 contains up to 85% alcohol, but it isn't always that. I have seen stations that say contains 50-85% ethanol. I think it varies from station to station how it is mixed.

And seasonally. In my area, E85 is usually around 70% in winter months. Different states have different standards on this. Iowa demands that E85 has no less than 70%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back