Honda OEM filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
New member here, and first post.

I've combed through previous threads, trying to find information on this topic - apologies in advance if it has already been discussed "to death."

I've read on BITOG that Honda OEM filters have fairly low efficiency, and the consensus *appears* to be that this is deliberate, in order to provide a high rate of oil flow. Does anybody know if this is actually the case? Thanks.

Last edited:
I thought that was Toyota's filters?

I hope not because I just bought a five pack of Filtech A01's from Amazon.
frown.gif

Here is one example of the information I've seen:

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Originally Posted By: gregk24
does anyone know the figures for filtration and flow on the honda a01 and a02 filters???

According to Fram, who makes the A02 filter, efficiency is 65% because that is what Honda wants. With that kind of low efficiency it would be reasonable to expect flow is very high. Toyota OEM's are spec'd at about 50% efficiency, clearly they are doing this on purpose I don't know if its for flow reasons, weak oil pumps or what but it is intentional.

I don't know what the A01 is but I imagine it's similar since it's Honda spec.

The Ultra will be 99% efficient but will still flow very well due to being synthetic.

As I mentioned before both are very high flowing filters and I'd be a lot more concerned about ADBV's than flow if I was having start up noise.

65%!! thats crazy...how is that even safe to put on your car? so it lets 35% of dirt and particles by?

2014 VW Jetta SE 1.8T ea888
30,xxx miles
Castrol Edge 0w40 / OEM filter

Subscribed out of curiosity. I only run Honda filters on my S2000 and NSX; no reason to second guess Honda on these cars!

Originally Posted By: jhass
65%!! thats crazy...how is that even safe to put on your car? so it lets 35% of dirt and particles by?

Well it depends on the particle size of course. 20 microns is generally the standard size we go by. I can't imagine they are only 65% and 50% efficient at 20 microns. That's a gravel screen.

Ive seen alot of Honda UOAs over the years in here.. I have yet to see one that said wear metals were low because of a certain oil filter.

I dont see the sense in driving to a dealer or ordering an oil filter online when there are Wix/Fram alternatives at brick and mortars.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Whatever the flow rate is, it's good enough. The oil filter is not the bottleneck of an engine's oiling system.

+1

I've known plenty of Hondas that have 200k+ on dealer oil changes which they usually recommend changing the filter every other OCI.

Isn't efficiency based on a single pass? In other words, in a filter is 65% efficient at 25 microns, a 25 micron particle has a 65% chance of being captured on the first pass. So if there were 100 such particles, 65 would be captured on the first pass, of the remaining 35, 23 would be captured on the second, of the remaining 12, 8 would be captured on the third pass and so on?

While having particles float around isn't a good thing, 65% efficiency doesn't mean 35% of particles are there forever: their uncaptured lifespan would be very short.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Whatever the flow rate is, it's good enough. The oil filter is not the bottleneck of an engine's oiling system.

+1

I've known plenty of Hondas that have 200k+ on dealer oil changes which they usually recommend changing the filter every other OCI.

Filters do get more efficient, with use, and the every other OCI filter change routine does cut the number of "dry" starts an engine endure by half. Reduces cost and waste, too and allows a "topside" oil change with a fluid extractor. I'm a believer.

Originally Posted By: jhass
Here is one example of the information I've seen:

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Originally Posted By: gregk24
does anyone know the figures for filtration and flow on the honda a01 and a02 filters???

According to Fram, who makes the A02 filter, efficiency is 65% because that is what Honda wants. With that kind of low efficiency it would be reasonable to expect flow is very high. Toyota OEM's are spec'd at about 50% efficiency, clearly they are doing this on purpose I don't know if its for flow reasons, weak oil pumps or what but it is intentional.

I don't know what the A01 is but I imagine it's similar since it's Honda spec.

The Ultra will be 99% efficient but will still flow very well due to being synthetic.

As I mentioned before both are very high flowing filters and I'd be a lot more concerned about ADBV's than flow if I was having start up noise.

2014 VW Jetta SE 1.8T ea888
30,xxx miles
Castrol Edge 0w40 / OEM filter
Why do Hondas last as long running oem oil filters and conventional oil as they do running top dollar syn oil and oil filters?

There are both single pass and multipass tests out there. I believe now, the multipass test (or one of them, at any rate) is most common, but that doesn't mean that all efficiency ratings are multipass.

Your comment brings up something I have wondered at--at what point in the OCI are these multipass tests simulating? Does multipass mean "five trips through the filter, one right after another" or does it mean "we took measurements at separate points in time, the last one a hundred hours after the first time"?

Originally Posted By: Danh
Isn't efficiency based on a single pass? In other words, in a filter is 65% efficient at 25 microns, a 25 micron particle has a 65% chance of being captured on the first pass. So if there were 100 such particles, 65 would be captured on the first pass, of the remaining 35, 23 would be captured on the second, of the remaining 12, 8 would be captured on the third pass and so on?

While having particles float around isn't a good thing, 65% efficiency doesn't mean 35% of particles are there forever: their uncaptured lifespan would be very short.

The oil flow to the engine is determined by the oil pump, and if the oil pump goes into relief mode or not. In a normal situation where the filter is not clogged and the bypass valve is large enough, the filter type isn't an issue. The notion Toyota and Honda specified low efficiency for flow is a myth told here over and over, and over. Eventually it gets believed. You can read here where others say the same thing about flow.

Makes me wonder if I've been choking my Hondas by using high efficiency filters like M1 & FU...?
15.gif

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Makes me wonder if I've been choking my Hondas by using high efficiency filters like M1 & FU...

Very unlikely to nil chance. As posted here many times, the average engine's oil system is ~15x more restrictive than the oil filter. That goes for the noted filters too. In PC use oil filter flow is not an issue.

As for Honda OEM, the one efficiency data point on the OEM A02 is from the published Amsoil ISO 4548-12 test of OEM filters. And frankly no one knows the reason for their efficiency, so any reason given is just speculation. I'd 'speculate' the A01 is similar efficiency to the A02.

Many Hondas running aftermarket filters with significantly higher efficiency ratings than the A02 tested with no issues.

Thanks for all the information. I think the bottom line is: use any good-quality oil filter, and worry about something else.

You just described multi pass efficiency. Honda OE filters made by FRAM are 65% @ 20 microns, they have 15 gram capacity and flow 10gpm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back