Mobil 1 5w30 GMC Sierra 230,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Slowrider5
I decided to come back and update this post with my final recorded result. I ended up extending the interval up to 13K after doing some more UOA's. The final one I did suggested I could easily go to 15K. So I did it before trading it in just over 300K miles. Had trouble getting any buyer interest in selling a truck with that many miles despite being one-owner and meticulously maintained. It was a badge of honor but not sure I will do that again if I can get better resale value at 150-200K miles.

Code:
Code:

OIL m15w30

MILES IN USE 6k 13k

MILES 230k 286k

SAMPLE TAKEN 7/1/2013 2/2/2016

ALUMINUM 3 3

CHROMIUM 1 1

IRON 12 13

COPPER 4 6

LEAD 7 12

TIN 0 3

MOLYBDENUM 67 75

NICKEL 1 2

MANGANESE 0 1

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 0 0

POTASSIUM 1 3

BORON 44 30

SILICON 12 15

SODIUM 4 5

CALCIUM 1010 997

MAGNESIUM 669 716

PHOSPHORUS 789 906

ZINC 880 1039

BARIUM 0 0

INSOLUBLES 0.2 0.3

WATER 0 0

FLASHPOINT ºF 410 385

SUS VIS 210ºF 60.5 60.3

cSt @ 212ºF 10.37 10.29

Blackstone comments:
We logged this sample in as the high-mileage formula and the oil's physical properties look great. The additives aren't much different from what we found last time, although there is more zinc here than the last two reports. That's just an additive in the oil, and having more or less isn't an issue. We're really happy to see less lead in the oil. It's still elevated, but it's not high enough to show a bearing problem. The TBN was strong at 3.2, so there's lots of active additive remaining for a longer run. 15K miles would be okay, but this interval works too.

So you doubled your OCI, and the wear rates were at or lower than the shorter OCI, as several of us predicted, and well within statistical normalcy.
Congratulations!

Also - your comments about selling it are spot on. When high-mileage units are for sale, the purchaser really could not care less about what oil you used, how often you changed it, etc. Frankly, high-mile units are not easily sold, and simply don't command a high dollar because of the potential for catastrophic failure regardless of previous care! Just because you used Mobil 1 lube, does not mean the crank won't snap, or the camshaft retainer bolts will not back out, or .... whatever. It's very common for people to say "I use a synthetic lube because I'll get more money back when I sell may car some day". Bovine Manure! Buyers of high-mile typically could not care less what brand/grade lube was used. If the car got regular service, that's what they expected. If not, they might DETRACT money from the paid price, but they will never ADD money to a price paid, just because the previous owner had a love affair with Brand X Super-Duper syn lube. When you sell a high-mile unit, it will take a long time, and you'll get a very low price, regardless of how well you loved on that ride all those years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Originally Posted By: Slowrider5
I decided to come back and update this post with my final recorded result. I ended up extending the interval up to 13K after doing some more UOA's. The final one I did suggested I could easily go to 15K. So I did it before trading it in just over 300K miles. Had trouble getting any buyer interest in selling a truck with that many miles despite being one-owner and meticulously maintained. It was a badge of honor but not sure I will do that again if I can get better resale value at 150-200K miles.

Code:
Code:

OIL m15w30

MILES IN USE 6k 13k

MILES 230k 286k

SAMPLE TAKEN 7/1/2013 2/2/2016

ALUMINUM 3 3

CHROMIUM 1 1

IRON 12 13

COPPER 4 6

LEAD 7 12

TIN 0 3

MOLYBDENUM 67 75

NICKEL 1 2

MANGANESE 0 1

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 0 0

POTASSIUM 1 3

BORON 44 30

SILICON 12 15

SODIUM 4 5

CALCIUM 1010 997

MAGNESIUM 669 716

PHOSPHORUS 789 906

ZINC 880 1039

BARIUM 0 0

INSOLUBLES 0.2 0.3

WATER 0 0

FLASHPOINT ºF 410 385

SUS VIS 210ºF 60.5 60.3

cSt @ 212ºF 10.37 10.29

Blackstone comments:
We logged this sample in as the high-mileage formula and the oil's physical properties look great. The additives aren't much different from what we found last time, although there is more zinc here than the last two reports. That's just an additive in the oil, and having more or less isn't an issue. We're really happy to see less lead in the oil. It's still elevated, but it's not high enough to show a bearing problem. The TBN was strong at 3.2, so there's lots of active additive remaining for a longer run. 15K miles would be okay, but this interval works too.

So you doubled your OCI, and the wear rates were at or lower than the shorter OCI, as several of us predicted, and well within statistical normalcy.
Congratulations!

Also - your comments about selling it are spot on. When high-mileage units are for sale, the purchaser really could not care less about what oil you used, how often you changed it, etc. Frankly, high-mile units are not easily sold, and simply don't command a high dollar because of the potential for catastrophic failure regardless of previous care! Just because you used Mobil 1 lube, does not mean the crank won't snap, or the camshaft retainer bolts will not back out, or .... whatever. It's very common for people to say "I use a synthetic lube because I'll get more money back when I sell may car some day". Bovine Manure! Buyers of high-mile typically could not care less what brand/grade lube was used. If the car got regular service, that's what they expected. If not, they might DETRACT money from the paid price, but they will never ADD money to a price paid, just because the previous owner had a love affair with Brand X Super-Duper syn lube. When you sell a high-mile unit, it will take a long time, and you'll get a very low price, regardless of how well you loved on that ride all those years.

In regard to your comment about selling high mileage vehicles. In some respects you are wrong. I have people(friends) lined up to buy my cars because they know how well I have cared for them. Part of that is they know I use M1 oils and am meticulous with maintenance. True the price will decline as the miles build up, but trading a good quality vehicle with 200K for a used vehicle with 40K is no guarantee of a better or more reliable unit. I bought a Chevy in 1978 with 8K and the trans failed in one week. A friend had his MB diesel engine fail at 40K with a broken oil pump. My 2007 Fusion with 218K runs great, uses no oil, shifts very well, the body has no rattles, rust, or damage.

Tig, those are not truly "private party" sales like Dnewton was referencing... ones on the open market, to people you don't know. I don't maintain my vehicles with more expensive parts and fluids to help the resale value, I do it to maintain the reliability while I own it. Towing services and rental vehicles far outstrip the upfront cost of good preventive maintenance, and those never get figured into used car prices either.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Tig, those are not truly "private party" sales like Dnewton was referencing... ones on the open market, to people you don't know. I don't maintain my vehicles with more expensive parts and fluids to help the resale value, I do it to maintain the reliability while I own it. Towing services and rental vehicles far outstrip the upfront cost of good preventive maintenance, and those never get figured into used car prices either.

Very true. Anytime you trade a vehicle in, no matter how low the miles, one comes away with the feeling you were just mugged at gun point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back