Couple of oils at -15C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given the cold snap that many of you are experiencing, and my messing around with some oils and additives in another thread...

Here's a 25W60 dino, and an SAE30 (presumably dino) at -15C with my favourite little mason jars that I picked up from the dollar shop.

https://www.nulon.com.au/images/files/productbulletins/PB-ST25W60.pdf (I use it as an "additve" lol)
http://www.penriteoil.com.au/assets/pis_pdfs/FOUR%20STROKE%20SAE%2030%20(Mineral).pdf (I reckon the ideal universal "top up" oil)

Ah right I see, I just checked the data sheet on that Penrite SAE 30 and it says that it's red.

Interesting how much better the straight 30 flows compared to the 25W60

I think just about any decent SAE30 (note the VI of 113) has a somewhat reasonable "W" rating these days...they just don't show it.

Like the vids, please keep them coming!
I'm not surprised the straight grade did much better, that 25W is telling you right up front that it doesn't like the cold while there has been talk of SAE30 oils offering 10W30 performance.

Got all the way up to -16C for my commute today, much better than the -23C yesterday (going by my possible inaccurate car temp readout). Good excuse to break out my snazzy Stafford (JCPenney's) 52% wool car coat, it usually drives me nuts to wear a coat long enough to sit on while driving but my posterior needs a little help until the seat warmers kick in these days. Picked the coat up for a song ($50?) back during the Great Recession, it's actually a decent looking item but not nearly as nice as the vintage Hart Schaffner & Marx cashmere car coat dad passed on to me...wore that for a while in college, but it's really just too small for me.
Expecting a Noreaster tomorrow, saw one station calling for 6-12" around home while another thinks it will be no big deal. They both agree the coldest air yet is going to chase the snow up the Atlantic coastline, oh boy!

The 30 grade would almost always win even over a smaller "W" number on a 60 grade. The W number is in relation to the grade, higher grade equals higher temp W number is rated at. The W number is not linear across different grades. This sounds like a math book!

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
The 30 grade would almost always win even over a smaller "W" number on a 60 grade. The W number is in relation to the grade, higher grade equals higher temp W number is rated at. The W number is not linear across different grades. This sounds like a math book!

Not true...a 0W40 has to pass the same cold temp (CCS and MRV) tests as a 0W20, for example.

http://www.viscopedia.com/viscosity-tables/substances/sae-viscosity-grades/

Last edited:
Interesting, even at 5F(fairly warm for our recent cold snap) the 25w60 flow like gear oil. Thanks for the video.
thankyou2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch

As has already been indicated, but I am going to reiterate, that's entirely incorrect. The temperatures for each W rating are fixed, irrespective of the grade, as are the limits.

Grade: MRV/CCS
0w-xx -40/-35C
5w-xx -35/-30C
10w-x -30C/-25C
15w-x -25C/-20C
20w-x -20C/-15C
25w-x -15C/-10C

Shannow's test was at the pumping limit for the 25w-60, so the results are somewhat expected.

need to work flipping technique so the gray doesn't hide the performance.

the dino 25W60, even at 15% has much less impact than the moly.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Not true...a 0W40 has to pass the same cold temp (CCS and MRV) tests as a 0W20, for example.

Correct, but you will see some variation based upon the oil you're choosing. An ILSAC lube, like a 0w-20 SN/GF-05 or a 0w-30 SN/GF-05 will tend to pole vault over those limits fairly readily, where an A3/B4 or HDEO might be closer to the limits.

Was messing around with ice and calcium choride and salt yesterday trying to make the best freezing mix to go lower. Got some temperature, but not enough thermal inertia to cool my oils.

But DID find that the freezer does -20C...

The 25W-70 just started moving at the end of the vid, and was fully moving at the end of it.

Looks like the SAE30 could literally be a 20W or 25W 30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back