Charging a Nexus 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an internal guts of the Nexus 6 question. I pulled the phone apart pealing layers to replace the battery.

The battery has a 3" coil of wire pressed against it. This coil goes to a connector with 4 contacts.

When I plug a mini USB cable into the phone to charge it does it use this induction coil to do the actual battery charging?

Originally Posted By: Donald
This is an internal guts of the Nexus 6 question. I pulled the phone apart pealing layers to replace the battery.

The battery has a 3" coil of wire pressed against it. This coil goes to a connector with 4 contacts.

When I plug a mini USB cable into the phone to charge it does it use this induction coil to do the actual battery charging?

No. That coil only receives the wireless charging.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer

No. That coil only receives the wireless charging.

Ok. I guess that makes sense. The connector connected to the coil needs to be glued or taped to the battery so it touches the other half of the connector exactly right. You need to figure out the proper spot to glue the connector to the battery.

I gave up on wireless charging as it's too slow.

It might also be the NFC (near field communication) antenna as well. These should be built into the battery. The parking metrs in Houston use this to communicate. Maybe the quick pay options as well.

I would check this functionality if that is somethin ng you use.

I just tried wireless charging that I have not used in awhile. Does not work.

Not sure I will take the phone apart to fix wireless charging that I never use.

I just tried wireless charging that I have not used in awhile. Does not work.

Not sure I will take the phone apart to fix wireless charging that I never use.

Mine doesn't work as of a couple of weeks ago. Don't feel like springing for a new charger to figure if it's the phone or the charger.

I really like the wireless charging feature and I'm surprised it hasn't caught on more than it has. It's just great to plop down the phone on it's pad and have it topped up all the time.

Who needs fast? If I can put it on it's cradle for an hour here and there where it would not be charged by conventional means and then overnight, I'm good. What do I care if the phone doesn't fully charge until 200 am instead of midnight?

Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
Who needs fast? If I can put it on it's cradle for an hour here and there where it would not be charged by conventional means and then overnight, I'm good. What do I care if the phone doesn't fully charge until 200 am instead of midnight?

You're actually extending your lithium ion battery's longevity that way.

Charging to 100% and discharging all the way drastically reduces the number of charge cycles the battery can go through before it's capacity drops significantly. Fast charging also generates more heat which is a further problem.

If the lifecycle of the phone is a year or two, then it's not a problem because the user has gotten maximum performance out of the battery for the time they've owned the phone. But if you want to keep the phone longer and not change the battery, and you don't need a full charge every day, then you'll want to charge it more like an electric car is charged (max charge of 80% of original capacity and range is "empty" at 30% of original capacity). On those occasions when you need the full capacity of the battery, then leaving the phone charging for a little longer and discharging the battery more is going to reduce the life of the battery but you're not doing it every day when you don't need to.

I now charge my phone to 70% max which is enough most of the time. My goal is to not discharge below 20%. I have a charger in the car which helps keep me in this range and I have an app that buzzes me when I reach 70%. It is also possible to switch off charging at a preset % (requires root).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back