Toyota OEM OF

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've owned several Toyotas over the years and usually use the oem filters as they are fairly inexpensive. About $4 a piece. Anybody (I am sure there is) know if these filters are worth using or am I wasting my $$ and engines by doing so?? Thinking about using Wix and Castrol Edge 0W-20 when the 2 year service program is over. Just bought a new 17 Highlander. Thanks

Wix filters are frankly not as good and will likely run you more money. I think the cheapest Wix is over $4.50 you can get a Toyota filter for less than a Wix.

Last edited:
Id use OEM with no worry. The only thing cheaper is the napa proselect which having used both, I can say id use either without any concern.

I have used OEM filters on my last 3 Toyotas. Fram OCD or Amsoil oil filters caused the oil light to stay on several seconds longer, even with Amsoil synthetic oil. I reasoned that unfiltered oil was better than no oil, so, I ran the OEM filter. I suspect the OEM filter has a bigger bypass or the bypass opens at a lower pressure.

If this was a spin on application, I'd say go with the Napa Gold/Wix.

Seeing as it's a cartridge application, OEM at the noted price ($4) would be a good choice.

They're made by Denso which is Toyotas main parts supplier. Denso makes good stuff.

Mahle makes very good cartridge filters for Toyota applications that use them. So Mahle would be my choice.

For spin-ons, use Wix or Fram Ultra

They are on par with the rest of the $4 filters, but that's all the Toyota needs.

I have had great success using Toyota filters. See "my" cars below.
grin.gif

I don't think you will do any better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back