Oil recommendation for LS swapped Miata

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 95 miata with an L33 LS based engine(5.3 from 2005 silverado, alum. block, 10.5 compression, mild camshaft, roller lifters, Stock rotating assembly with new bearings and pistons/rings) Obviously the car is a weekend car and sees I live in Central Florida where the climate is pretty hot. I'd like to use a high quality oil to offer the most protection possible, within reason of course.
Thanks in advance for all your suggestions.

I see you are in Florida.

All I have ever run in my drag cars is 15W-40 (Rotella, Delo, Delvac etc)

That's a VERY tough engine that doesn't need any type of "boutique" oil.

+1
laugh.gif

A synthetic 10W-30 or 5W-40 is a good choice for a mild engine in Florida. 15W-50 synthetic is the right choice for track days.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
M1 0w-40. It's what GM uses in their race program Corvettes IIRC.

Never heard that before, but GM is switching over to a new M1 0w40 variant as the FF/service fill for Corvettes starting in 2019 MY. Details are still a bit hazy.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
M1 0w-40. It's what GM uses in their race program Corvettes IIRC.

Never heard that before, but GM is switching over to a new M1 0w40 variant as the FF/service fill for Corvettes starting in 2019 MY. Details are still a bit hazy.

In trying to find it, I discovered that it is the recommended service fill for the Z06 when sold in Europe as per this thread.

Also, somewhat amusing, Mobil 1 5w-30, 0w-40 and 15w-50 show up on the Mobil 1 Racing product website. M1 0w-40 carries the following description:

Quote:
Used as factory fill in many production road car models and continues to win in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship and multiple Porsche Customer Racing series.

Porsche Customer Racing series doesn't sound overly spectacular, however the former includes two Corvette Race teams and two Porsche GT teams.

The Corvette teams have some pretty good records in the 12 and 24hr races. They are presently in 1st place in GT Le Mans.

If you're in warm weather 15W40 would never be an issue either so up to you really. But on a more serious note, how fast would that thing be? Vids?
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back