Dreaded Annual Inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
No inspections here and don't see any accidents etc. Couldn't stand living in a nanny state that required them.

The fees actually went down in Texas; I think it's $7.00 now.

If you are a new guy... they usually look it over closely.

If they know you and know your vehicle = in & out in 5 minutes

In Maryland, initial inspection to register a vehicle then only emissions every two years. I'm not a fan of inspections but I have stopped at a traffic light and seen 6 cars in a row with at least one brake light out. Wish people would take care of their stuff.

Another VA person here. Former tech and also did safety inspections in NC. I HATE people touching my car and the inspections is the worst.

Little over a year ago I failed for no backup lights. I took it home thinking I had a bad neutral safety switch. Found out the NSS is inside my transmission, just about had a heart attack thinking how much that take to fix. So started working backwards with my meter till I checked for power. No fuse in the box, just missing completely after they inspected it. Yea you read that right, just pulled my fuse and tried to sell me a electrical repair. At least when I was a tech the ripoff shops would at least pop the fuse and put it back.
Put a fuse in it and drove straight back. Just stared them down as they looked under the hood. They did not even give me my key back, made the cashier get them and return to me. I was fuming the entire time.

Seems like every single time I find a good honest place they switch people or close down. I have 1 good one now so hoping they don't switch people. I still do a little work on the side and send people there and all have been happy.

Had my truck done today here in Va. Dealer did it, dropped off early and picked up at noon. I got one of the first stickers on the drivers side.looks weird after being on the right center for the last 42 years I've been driving. When I first started driving in 1976 we had inspections every 6 months, I had a 65 impala with 6 tail lights and one was always out. So glad it changed a few years later.

I lived in PA for over 25 years. Hated those twice a year inspections. A dime size rust through in the sheet metal would fail you. NY is also twice a year IIRC but they aren't a rust state. That was a lot better. TN had no inspections. That was even better.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
No inspections here and don't see any accidents etc. Couldn't stand living in a nanny state that required them.

The fees actually went down in Texas; I think it's $7.00 now.

If you are a new guy... they usually look it over closely.

If they know you and know your vehicle = in & out in 5 minutes

Cost is the same. Half is paid at the time of inspection and the other half added to your registration.

As of 1 Jan. 2018, Utah has done away with mandatory safety inspections. They continue to require emissions inspections.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
No annual inspections here either. I wonder what the efficacy is of mandated annual inspections, surely there is a tax funded study out there...

Edit, Found one! http://www.dot7.state.pa.us/BPR_PDF_FILE...fectiveness.pdf

Quote:
5.1 PROJECT FINDINGS
Based on the analysis presented in the preceding sections, it is confirmed that
Pennsylvania’s Vehicle Safety Inspection Program is an effective program that
reduces fatal crashes and saves lives in Pennsylvania. Although not addressed
through the available data, this benefit would also extend to a reduction in all
crashes which could be attributed to vehicle failure, and thereby a reduction in
serious injuries and property damage resulting from vehicle crashes.
The specific benefit to the citizens of Pennsylvania varies depending on the specific
model selected from Section 4.2. But, revisiting the hypotheses in
Section 4.1, we can make the following assertions:

Nationally, vehicle safety inspection programs appear to be a significant factor
in lowering fatal crashes;

Based on the model results, Pennsylvania can be expected to have between
115 and 169 fewer fatal crashes each year, corresponding to between 127 and
187 fewer fatalities each year, than it would if it did not have a vehicle safety
inspection program. (The range of fewer fatalities exceeds the range of fewer
crashes due to the presence of crashes with multiple fatalities);

The largest difference in reported vehicle failures at the scene of fatal crashes
is for vehicles of three years of age or more; and

The combination of state-level and county-level analysis of fatality data provide
consistent and complementary results.

The results of the research clearly demonstrate that the Vehicle Safety
Inspection program in Pennsylvania is effective and saves lives.

This is the first time I have seen a report that claims any real safety value to auto safety inspections. Every other report I have read has stated that there is no evidence to suggest that state auto safety inspections do anything to increase safety on the road. In fact some reports have went so far as to state that the only apparent benefit to safety inspections is income for auto shops that perform inspections.

A few years ago the Utah legislature made a previous attempt to eliminate the auto safety inspection. But the effort was defeated after a successful attack by the auto repair shops. Their entire platform was based on the loss to the state economy. They made no attempt at all to suggest that the safety of drivers and passengers was at risk.

In Maryland they did away with time-based vehicle safety inspections long ago. Emissions inspections are about every 2 years, cost $14
A safety inspection is still required when the vehicle is sold: the buyer needs a valid MD inspection to get a license plates.
This inspection is fairly rigorous and runs about $80-100. Another way to trigger an inspection is if the police pull you over and notice something that would make it fail an inspection, so they issue an inspection order. Cracked glass, burned out lights etc are common problems.

these inspections must be a east coast inspection mafia way to make money. Don't seem to have them on the west coast. Wa only has emmisions, and that is only in certain counties .

When I was a teenager, Australian Capital Territory had a full pit inspection every year, as part of the registration cots.

Their pit, their mechanics, and great big line that grew bigger.

The did a proper inspection, followed by a brake dynomometer (guy in a 911 had the shock of his life when my brother's HK Premier pulled higher numbers and better side to side balance). They actually tested and adjusted your headlight alignment with the prism/reflector machines.

Was great...we found out that the proportioning valve in parent's Renault was stuffed...no real way of telling on anything BUT a brake dyno.

as the queues grew, they stopped inspections on cars under 3 years old. Then started picking nice looking vehicles out of the queue, check the lights, wipers and horn, and passed them without the pit...that made it easy, just detail it.

Then they abandoned it, citing the fact that people dollied up their car once a year, however the Police could issue a defect notice any time of any day or night, so not having inspections was safer.

Within 6-7 years, their accident rate was back up to the national average, so it was time to crack down on speeding (speed and many many point to point time of flight cameras) and roadside breath tests.

Clear observation was that the full pit annual inspection reduced accidents...cars had to be able to stop and have no suspension defects, plus tyres that were at least only 12 months after the legal minimum tread depth.

Very picky in The Yook.

Here in Taiwan, 6-monthly inspection is very much a 2-tier system.

Private, licensed inspections centres are usually pretty lax because they want the repeat bizniz, unless, very rarely, govt inspectors are leaning on them, which I've heard of happening but never seen.

If, OTOH, you have to get an inspection at a government inspection centre, (mandatory on sale of vehicle or if you've lost the documents, as I did) that can be challenging to pass.

I was expecting the usual govt hostility to old cars but they seemed to find it a bit of a novelty. I took my GF along and while waiting in the queue she told them a shameless sob-story about how I was Scottish and so if my car failed I'd get drunk and violent and drive her and the starving children out into the snow (true, but one tries to keep that kind of thing private) so they were on-side when I took it through.

Apparently there's some driver technique involved in getting the right numbers out of the emission testing machine, a technique I didn't have.

This meant I was getting broken Chinglish advice in one ear from the inspector, not quite simultaneously mis-translated by the GF in the other ear, and after a bit of this I lost it a bit and started giggling hysterically.

They told the GF to take it (and me) away and warm it up (and calm me down) and when I took it back they drove it through themselves and apparently got the right numbers out of it.

I doubt it would have passed emmissions if I'd been on my own.

No CEL it passes. Typically I'm in and out in less than 5 minutes. My van is safety only, that passes in even less time. I always thought the rolling road dyno inspection was a bit more of a PITA.

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
Here in Texas they just check if your blinkers work

Not really....

They are supposed to check EVERY bulb, Horn, wipers, tire tread, etc.

Every inspection station is also supposed to put your parking brake on and if it rolls at idle in "drive", it fails.

Reminds me of when I first moved to New England and ended up having to get my car inspected at the same time as my wife and two coworkers who relocated at about the same time.
There was a little shop close to work that put out a coupon for an inspection at a much lower price than usual...we all went there with fairly new vehicles and each needed one bulb to be "replaced", same basic bulb location on each car. They just "replaced" the bulb for each of us without notice and didn't have the old ones around for us to inspect.
Think something was going on??
;^)

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I wish they did annual inspections in Ohio to get some of the junk fixed or off the road.

I'm glad OH did away with the inspections. It would be one thing if the inspections kept the junky vehicles off the roads, but more times than not, they use these inspections to fail vehicles for stupid things that have absolutely no bearing on safety or emissions...They kind of remind me of HOAs...yes, they may keep the junk cars from being a permanent fixture in someone's driveway, but they also tell you what color you can paint your house...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
.... probably NC inspections are fairly strict....

Nah, not so much. A few years ago State considered doing away with annual inspections. Gas station and shops that do them lobbied hard to keep them and won. After the investment of a computer hooked to OBD linked to state DMV it's easy money.

They did lower the cost to half for new cars, no emission testing 3yrs/70k miles. And emission is just hook up to obd, no tail pipe check. I've never had a vehicle in rough shape or showing any check engine codes going in, always passed. I go to same shop each time, they get to know you and mostly going through the motions 'ime'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back