Your investment strategies for 2018 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still largely index funds.

I put about 50-60% in S&P 500 funds. About a quarter of my new investment goes into small to midcap funds. The other quarter give or take is spread around between value, international and some precious metals.

I am looking at retirement in 15 years give or take, so a fairly equities heavy mix for me.

I got a raise, so I put half of it into new 401(k) contributions for 2018.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
What are your investment strategies for 2018 ?

Whether it be short or long term... ?

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
What are your investment strategies for 2018 ?

Whether it be short or long term... ?

Buy Low.
Sell High.

I am 100% into index funds as well.

About 2/3 small cap, 1/3 large cap.

Last edited:
Largely in the cheapest index funds and ETF's that I can find. Buying a fair amount of Schwab since it's even cheaper than Vanguard and it's been written that the difference in total market indexes will buy you a ham sandwich after a decade.

If I have regrets, it was in maxing out my 457 and IRA's for years (switched IRA's into Roth's as soon as I could). Now I'm in my seventies and have a boatload of RMD taxes to pay. If I had it to do over, I would have taken the 457 up to the match and put the rest into taxables. Paying capital gains would have been a lot easier than taking it as income in my old age.

Taking enough from the IRAs to meet the minimum distribution requirements and annual annuity distribution. Don't like annuities but the one we have had for thirty some years is worth way more than what we put into it.

Yep, did that on Friday. Increased the contribution percentage and made sure I had the percentages I wanted in each investment option.

No investments...
frown.gif

Mine is invest in life. I worked hard enough to not remember the first 3 years of my kids life. Can't get that back and it sure isn't worth any money in the world. Lost people in life, and I know no money in the world is worth any one of them. Focusing my energy on what is important now, and it's not money.

At 63 15% cash although I wouldn't be able to resist investing some of that if the market crashes. I've made some great gains in the past by investing at the bottom. The rest is in index funds and high yield shares most of which tend to maintain dividends in a crash. I've got a small company pension and the state pension both of which will begin payment in 3 years.

First step to sell our other house (the one that we just moved out of)...it's costing us council rates and insurance.

Get that back into wife's accounts/trading accounts...then into some shares with fully franked dividends and a DRP.

Index funds are the way to go.

Also watch out for IRA deductions that are not tax deductible. You will pay tax again on the money when you take it out.

If you make too much for IRA to be deductable or fund a Roth, then open IRA add money to it and convert to Roth on a yearly basis. That you can do even if you make too much to open a Roth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back