700R4 pan removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found the source of the slipping. Clearly the filter is clogged. This explains why it would act normal for a minute or two then slip completely. I serviced this trans two years ago - looked healthy then.

Thoughts? Filter and fill and see how long she goes or just pull the trans now?

Yuck. The 07 Trailblazer my parents owned never had a the tranny filter changed as far as I could tell. It had a lot of gunk if not more in it. I know that these are two different transmissions though.

What tranny fluid did you use? I used Valvoline MaxLife and the shifts were much smoother.

Also what vehicle?

Valvoline MaxLife FTW... I was sure my new-to-me Odyssey was going to need a new tranny at 136k, because the fluid looked similar and the tranny would slip/bang shifts going up and down the gears. Did 4x drain-fill-drive 10 minutes-drain cycles in an afternoon (no filter to change) and reset the PCM after the last fluid change... now it shifts like new- very smooth and crisp engagement. I change 1 gallon of fluid every 15-20k now and at 170k its still as smooth as the day I did the first change, fluid still red and clear of any particulates when draining. Trannys are the one area I believe people will actually benefit from a slightly shorter OCI than the manufacturers recommend due to all the particulates that can accumulate.

That being said, 700R4s seem to be living on borrowed time from the day they are built. Good luck!

I filled with O'Reilly Dex VI when I serviced it last - that's what my pops bought for it.

I think I may just fill 'er up tomorrow with a new filter and see what happens.

Nasty, but I've seen worse.
I look forward to dropping the pan on my 700R4. I know that I overheated it at least once.
While I'm at it, I will probably install an extra cooler, Corvette servo, and maybe a deep pan.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I filled with O'Reilly Dex VI when I serviced it last - that's what my pops bought for it.

I think I may just fill 'er up tomorrow with a new filter and see what happens.

+1, I would and probably upgrade the fluid a bit to something like Maxlife full synthetic.

You should get an aftermarket pan that has a drain plug, such as Dorman. It will make future ATF changes much easier, so you can do them more frequently, and even if you still have to drop the pan like to change the filter, it will be less messy since you can drain the fluid first before dropping the pan
smile.gif

Long time ago I built an 80 Trans Am with a small block Chevy, 700R4 and a 3.55 posi rear. I had a Corvette servo, B&M lockup controller for the converter, a Derale pan and a big cooler plumbed in after the radiator's trans cooler. That transmission lived a long, happy life in that car. I was actually surprised.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Wow, if you did that 2 years ago it is messed up!

Well apparently he spent a morning dragging railroad ties across a field to "refresh" his shooting range.

So I'm thinking that did it.

If you serviced that 2 years ago there is little to no hope for it being something small that can be sorted out from the pan side, something let go or is close to it, its a dead player still moving. Yank it IMO.

New filter and fluid and see how it goes. I’d check the throttle valve cable is adjusted and working right that controls a lot on the 700r4.

This is the 1988 C10?

Frankly, what will it cost to do fluid? Give it a go, see what happens. Save for a transmission rebuild.

I would say it's DONE if the filter was changed & the pan was cleaned out 2 years ago....I'm guessing not many miles either?

If your willing to invest the time & money into it & build it right.....The 700R4 is a really good unit!
If you need a parts list & technical info....Let me know.

Originally Posted By: Trav
If you serviced that 2 years ago there is little to no hope for it being something small that can be sorted out from the pan side, something let go or is close to it, its a dead player still moving. Yank it IMO.

This.

If you serviced it two years ago something is shedding a lot of material, since it is enough to clog the filter.

Have the same thing going on with the 700R4 in my wagon. It's toasted. Change the fluid and filter if you feel like it. I'd bet money on that transmission being done.

Not that it won't "work", but it's going to keep shedding metal and plugging the transmission filter.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

Thoughts? Filter and fill and see how long she goes or just pull the trans now?

It's worth a shot.

Back in the day, we would just flush the dickens out of the filter with gasoline and put it back in.

Don't expect it to last much longer, though......................

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back