Oil for aging Canyon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always used M1 Syn, had a 1993 S-10 2.8 that got M1 15-50 never seemed to hurt it. I have an unlimited supply of NAPA Universal Fleet 15-40 , maybe I'll use that for one oil change and see. BTW I use Purolator or Delco filters. My wife's Envoy has the 4.2 I-6 and it is much more quiet. Same oil same filters.

Originally Posted By: rokwldr
I have a GMC Canyon with 110,000 miles. It has the I5 engine. For the last 10,000 miles or so I hear more engine noise on startup. I have always used M1 10-30 syn and OCI's at around 10,000 mi. Have had the oil sent to Blackstone a few times with good results. I am just wondering if I should start using M1 10-40 high mileage. A mechanic friend says some engines just get a little more noise with age. What are your'e thoughts. Also I do tow a boat if that matters.

If your manual is like my 2006 Colorado I5's, it calls for 5W30 meeting 6094M. I have 111k miles on mine and I use Valvoline Max-Life Blend 5W30 and Fram Ultra filers. It is 6094M approved and there is only tensioner noise for the first 1/2 second on a cold start up. Very quiet when warmed up. I run a 6k OCI.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bandz7
I would try pennzoil platinum 10w-30 if you can find the gen 2 version. Remember those engines are DI, and that gen 2 platinum has the lowered amounts of calcium.

No, they are NOT DI. They are Vortec engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back