Formula Shell conventional

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a comment about Formula Shell conventional and cold starting. I run FS in several service cars here in Western Massachusetts and it's been below zero for about a week now and I find no starting issues running there 5w30 and 5w20 oils. It seems to start just fine even at -10F in several car makes. I usually get it on sale at HD in 5 quart cantainers and I have run several cars on this oil for several hundred thousand miles without issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm running it in my '15 Cherokee in 5W20 and it seems a little less ticky when I first start it in the cold. Got 12 qts of it at Menards for like $15 this summer.

5W20 and 5W30 conventional oils have to pass the same -30C CCS and -35C MRV tests that synthetics of those grades do.
Given that -10F is only -23C, you're a long way from those test points and the oil is probably more than twice as thin at that temp than at -30C.
The only difference is that many 5WXX synths will beat the test limits by wide margins while the conventionals tend to bunch up closer to the upper viscosity limits...I do like to pick 5W30s that do especially well in the cold tests, although anything that is good enough to pass 0W30 tests at -35C CCS/-40C MRV must be labelled as a 0W30. Might run a 0W30 next winter when I can find some d1G2 examples of that grade and it is worth noting that there are no conventional 0W30s!! (not sure about 0W20)

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
Formula Shell 5W30 passes the -30 ccs specs by a wide margin. Upper limit is 6600 where as FS measures 4300. Good oil.

I think you're referencing the synthetic version here, the test results are a bit old but the PQIA had the synth 5W30 around 4000 cP for CCS at -30C with the conventional a bit above 6100 cP. Confusing to look up on their site as some oils are under Formula Shell and others are under Shell Formula.

I bought 6 cases of Formula Shell 10W-30 on clearance.
It saw:
my sister's '99 Jeep (XJ)
an '89 K1500 (SBC)
a '97 F-150
2 lawn tractors
an old Saab
other applications

Every engine loved it. It made Sis' Jeep quieter....did the same for the gardening tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back