How to Stop Snow/Ice Buildup on Snowblower Auger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for suggestions on the best way to prevent snow/ice buildup on the main auger.

For whatever reason my driveway tends to stay a bit warmer and gets a thin layer of slush under the snow (I use the same snowblower on my neighbor's driveway and don't usually have this issue). When removed from the driveway surface this slush freezes on the auger really limiting its effectiveness. I often find myself plowing snow with my snowblower which annoys the $#!^ out of me!

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I should add that I've tried a spray before (I don't remember what it was, it came out black though) and I've tried using a car wax. They helped but never really did the trick.

Last edited:
Are the augers rusty?

If so, no amount of wax or spray will help. They need to have a smooth painted surface, then some non-stick spray will help.

At first I used cooking spray on my old snowblower and then WD40 if I ran out of the former...after the paint was largely chipped off of the auger, I found that applying XC ski glide wax (not kick wax!!!) helped a lot and lasted quite a while. The ski wax didn't really seem to take if the paint was still on the metal. I had fewer problems with buildup after the paint came off the auger and the ski wax started to stick to it than with a painted augur and any kind of spray.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Are the augers rusty?

If so, no amount of wax or spray will help. They need to have a smooth painted surface, then some non-stick spray will help.

No they're painted black but dull.

Which spray is best? I feel that the water content the snow sometimes has at the bottom along with it sliding over the augers wore off whatever I tried before.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
At first I used cooking spray on my old snowblower and then WD40 if I ran out of the former...after the paint was largely chipped off of the auger, I found that applying XC ski glide wax (not kick wax!!!) helped a lot and lasted quite a while. The ski wax didn't really seem to take if the paint was still on the metal. I had fewer problems with buildup after the paint came off the auger and the ski wax started to stick to it than with a painted augur and any kind of spray.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: gofast182
Which spray is best?

Lemon Pledge furniture polish/spray.

Yes, seriously!

Yep, furniture polish or inexpensive silicone spray work well. You just have to keep them stored indoors and warm if you want them to spray.

I too hate the first few snow blowing sessions when the ground is warm, where your blower pushes more snow than it can feed to the impeller.

This is less of an issue with rubber paddle single-stagers if you have one.

We had a really wet 4" snowfall one year, temp was right around freezing. But the storm was bringing in below 0F temps that night. I knew it was either live with frozen rutted ice or try and blow it off.

The snowblower did OK but it extruded the snow instead of blowing it. It was like making sausage.....

I would use this stuff:
41ELUJpvkeL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

OK well I got some XC ski glide wax and came to realize there was NO way I was getting that stuff to melt outside in my detached garage; that can be a summer project.

Taking a couple of the other suggestions, I used some aerosol bees wax furniture polish my wife had and some Mobil 1 I had hanging around. Fingers crossed because it's going to be a big one tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back