Mercedes oil data sheets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone been able to find data sheets for Mercedes own branded oil. It's Labelled PKW synthetic 229.5 and the part number a0009898301aca5. With extraordinary arrogance Mercedes deliberately choose to omit the SAE grade so it could be either 5W30 or 5W40.

Using the manufacturers own oil is all well and good but it's a bit unsettling when you know so little about it. Yes I know it meets the spec but here we like to know more.

Originally Posted By: barryh
Has anyone been able to find data sheets for Mercedes own branded oil. It's Labelled PKW synthetic 229.5 and the part number a0009898301aca5. With extraordinary arrogance Mercedes deliberately choose to omit the SAE grade so it could be either 5W30 or 5W40.
Using the manufacturers own oil is all well and good but it's a bit unsettling when you know so little about it. Yes I know it meets the spec but here we like to know more.

On my MB E350 4Matic (2008) MB recommends 0W40/5W40, but I prefer 5W40 so I think that the PKW would be one of those two.

Thanks,

A few bits of information now point to it being 5W40 which is what I wanted. MB sure make hard work of it though.

I'm guessing there is no chance of a product data sheet. I know MB's oil used to be Mobil 1 but they are now sponsored by Petronas so I suppose it's changed. It might be PETRONAS Syntium 3000 E 5W-40 which is the only one on the 229.5 approved list

I did learn that PKW is simply a German abbreviation for Personenkraftwagen (passenger car).

Even if it's a 5W30, it would be very close to a 40 grade. MB229.5 spec must have over 3.5 HTHS. So really, they have just used their spec as the oil grade instead of giving it an SAE grading. Probably makes oil purchase easier. You could easily look through 10 bottles of 5W30 and 5W40 in a store and find one or two that meet MB229.5 or maybe none depending on the store.

I think it's smart. Makes it easy if your engine needs that spec with nothing else to worry about. Knowing the grade makes no difference, possibly adds more confusion. FYI I have two different oils in the shed with MB229.5 cert, one is 5W30 and one is 5W40. Only 1 cSt difference KV100 and KV40 is also close. HTHS is 3.6 for both I believe.. so in the end, barely difference. Just the imaginary magic lava line that says 30 this side, 40 that side with the two oils on the edge, giving each other the middle finger.

I have put 5200 miles on the S350d since end of September.

Had 12k on when bought.

At just under 17.5k the Assyst Plus says I have 74days till a B1 Service.

When I went into the Wokshop menu it said the maximum mileage to service was just over 10k miles.

My car was serviced at 1 Yr old when it was returned at the end of a 1Yr Contract Hire so the 74 day’s will be one year.

I have not done the miles I had anticipated to a half interval oil change hasn’t proved necessary this time.

Insuspect I will have 7/8k in this oil when the service is done.

Not sure I would feel comfortable happy leaving the oil in place for 15k miles!

But it does show how long the OCI are in Europe on Mercedes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back