fix or buy new pressure washer

Status
Not open for further replies.
my cousin gave me a karcher presuure electric washer. it got the problem of surging which if the internet is correct can be fixed with about $60 in parts.

i want to electric washer to wash my cars with. i have a gas one but its lot of work to haul out of the garage to wash my car.

Seeing its going to cost me about $60 for parts and i can get a new one about the same pressure for just a little more ($10), should i just toss the broken one and get a new one?

Originally Posted By: WhyMe

Seeing its going to cost me about $60 for parts and i can get a new one about the same pressure for just a little more ($10), should i just toss the broken one and get a new one?

Sell it at a yard sale for $20

Junk it. Had one and it lasted a season and a half. They are junk. Spend a little more money get one with a Honda gas engine and don't look back! Read some reviews.

I love electric pressure washers for their lightweight and ease of use but they don't last. I get the most 1 1/2 yrs and usually less out of them and always buy them with the extended warranty. I do bicycle repairs and they are the best for bicycles. I have several gas washers, 3 5hp, 8hp, 11hp. Big difference in the power and speed between all of them. The minimum you should buy should be 6 1/2hp, preferably 8hp.

I say toss it & the headaches that came with it. I have had my electric pressure washer now for 4 years. Use it to wash my siding & front/back porches off. As soon as im finished using it, I wrap the hoses up & clean the whole machine & put it back in the box. The seals are what take a [censored] as far as the one I have. Like my Aunt Lina used to always say -- " you get what you pay for kid!! "

Originally Posted By: thorromig
I say toss it & the headaches that came with it. I have had my electric pressure washer now for 4 years. Use it to wash my siding & front/back porches off. As soon as im finished using it, I wrap the hoses up & clean the whole machine & put it back in the box. The seals are what take a [censored] as far as the one I have. Like my Aunt Lina used to always say -- " you get what you pay for kid!! "

+1 in regard to an electric PW. I have a gas powered washer that's 5 years old, and care for the pump as best as I know how. However if the pump failed I would try to fine a new one, as that's much cheaper than buying a completely new PW.

Last edited:
Get the black max one at sams club its on a regular type frame so it doesnt get tippy. will work for many years if you take basic care of it.. (drain it.. use pump saver)

Sometimes you just get a dud.. I use an electric at work.. with warm/hot water and its survived for 60+ hours now. Its for cold use only.

I try to adjust it for about 100f but our faucet has bad crossflow with a recirculating hot water system so the 1.3gpm pressure washer lets an amazing amount of crossflow go through the faucet making it very hard to adjust the temp. Cold water just doesnt clean takes 2-3x the labor.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/blackmax-1800-psi-pressure-washer/prod20951213.ip
goes on sale for around 100$
They dont stock it in the winter.

I have a gas one I use at home its so much faster.. but for washing cars I would definitely prefer electric.

The gas one is just a regular troy-bilt [email protected](iirc)

its easily 3x faster than a 1.2GPM electric in the same jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back