5k mi. OCI - 6 moths or a year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is mileage more important than time, or should I worry about oil degrading sitting in the oil pan? Vehicle in question is a '98 Chevy pickup 5.7L Vortec. Barely put 5k on it a year, and I usually change it with a non-extended drain synthetic, such as Amsoil OE, Mobil1 or Valvoline Synpower. Seems like a waste to drain it with barely over 2k miles each 6 months, but that's what I've been doing. Any harm in pushing this out a year and running the full 5k miles?

Id leave it in.
As long as you get it hot enough to burn off the moisture when you do run it - sump time is almost meaningless next to run time.

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Audios
5k or one year sounds totally acceptable for something like this.

That works for me in two of my applications. With a UOA you might even be able to extend it beyond a year.

I do one year OCIs in my low use pickup. They work great. Just make sure to not short trip the truck if you can at all avoid it.... or at least try to get a longer drive on it before putting it away for a while.

The most important life factor is operating time at low temperature for both oil and filter. In the winter, you need about 15 minutes driving at moderate load to get the oil up to operating temperature if the thermostat is working properly. It is preferable to operate for a minimum of 30 continuous minutes at least once a month if you are only driving it occasionally to allow the oil enough time at a high enough temperature to evaporate the condensed water, acids and fuel. If you can do this and use an upgraded filter that contains synthetic enhanced cellulose filter media (like Wix, Napa Gold or Fram Toughguard for example), then yearly changes are acceptable but watch that dipstick for any signs of moisture. If you cannot do this, better stick with the 6 month intervals. I don't think that synthetic oil helps extend the oil drain interval if it must be dumped because of contamination. As a fellow Idahoan, one more bit of advice, "Never put your horse away hot and never put your car away cold".

Originally Posted By: UncleDave
sump time is almost meaningless next to run time.

100% correct.

Tons of excellent/amazing UOA's of oil that's been in the engine for multiple years (if you search it out).

Time in service = very little significance

I would do 5k miles or 1 year, whichever comes first.

If you haven't done the distance at 6 months, then keep the oil in the sump and keep going. As long as the car gets properly warm every so often.

I put about 1000-1500 miles a year on my 1993 E350 that I built into a camper. Use M1 10w-30 and change at 5000 mile OCI's which is about every 4-5 years. No problems so far. My guess is that the motor is not going to be what kills this truck. I do recommend an OEM oil filter.

So far it seems the overwhelming consensus is to run out the full OCI even it extends to a full year. I've been leaning towards this for a while - it just seemed like a waste to dump the oil with such little use. Wanted to get some opinions first, just so I could over think it some more! lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back