Are the newer E-Cores ok for 5-6k mi. OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My local Walmart is carrying the AC Delco E-cores on rollback for $2.97 per filter - thinking about picking some up. They carry both models for my Yukon and Chevy pickup. I know that the Delco's use a separate bypass, ADBV design and has the updated inner nylon core. Think these are safe for a 5-6k mile OCI? Running out the OLM on the Yukon (5-7k mi. usually) and 5k mi. OCIs on the Chevy K1500. Typically equates to a Spring / Fall change for both vehicles, but I'd like to run the pickup to a year, as I barely put 5k a year on it lately. My standby is usually a M1 or a Wix - can usually pick up the Wix locally for about $7 per filter. Usually run an Amsoil OE or Mobil1, Valvoline Synpower synthetic.

Anyone run the newer E-Cores with confidence on a standard OCI? I've read about the horror stories but the failure rates still seem low compared to how many are being used on the road.

On My old 2010 impala i used to use the ecore filters. i cut them open and they still looked good (5-6K OCI). My malibu takes the regular acdelco filter and looks the same after the same distance.

Interesting - I did a parts number lookup on the PF64 and it comes up saying it can be used in place of the PF48(E). The only difference is the bypass valve opening pressure. Seems to be 15 PSI for the PF48E and 22 PSI for the PF64. The 64 appears to use the older Champ style construction - metal core and thicker can. I wonder if the 64 is this way because of the higher PSI requirement for bypass? Here’s where I found that info - looks like the PF64 is also recommended for Corvettes with the higher PSI oil pump system.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/att...f-pf64-pf48.pdf

Is there any harm in running a filter with a higher bypass PSI? Just checked my local WalMart and they stock the PF64 for around $5. I’ll have to swing by and open the box and see if it indeed still uses the metal core and endcap design like the older PF48 did.

Originally Posted By: RonRonnster
The 64 appears to use the older Champ style construction - metal core and thicker can. I wonder if the 64 is this way because of the higher PSI requirement for bypass? Here’s where I found that info - looks like the PF64 is also recommended for Corvettes with the higher PSI oil pump system.

The filter's bypass valve has no bearing on what the oil pressure is inside the can. That's determined by the oil pump's pressure relieve valve setting. So the can is probably thicker for the higher pressure oiling system in the Vette.

Originally Posted By: RonRonnster
.... I know that the Delco's use a separate bypass....

And imo that's GM/ACDelco saying we prefer a separate traditional dome poppet type bypass to the regular ecore using a combo valve. On older GM, bypass is in the block so the ecores only needed an adbv function for those models. So yeah, imo the ACDelco ecore ok for the topic oci/fci.

As an aside, personally would still prefer the classic construction ACDs including the Ultraguard UPF series, especially the latter if extending the oci/fci beyond topic interval.

Since the 3,000 mile oil change has long since been debunked, any oil filter should run fine for the normal oil change intervals today.

Last edited:
Thanks, all - I'm going to pick up a couple while on sale and use them for at least two OCIs. With the updated nylon core design, I'm less worried about filter media getting blown out (neither of my applications are high PSI anyway) - I'm more concerned about the ADBV holding up for the full OCI. If all goes well for a couple full OCIs, I'll continue to use them as long as they are still easy and cheap for me to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back