Best oil for 2018 2.5 Subaru Legacy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Wht's the best motor oil for below car:

1. What kind of vehicle you have> 2018 Subaru 2.5 Legacy, 1500 mi.

2. What your owner's manual says> 0-20W, XW-XX, API SVC SN, Resource Conserving or ILSAC GF5. No mileage interval listed 7 operating manuals. Dealer said 6000 mi.
3. Where you live> NJ, that alone should indicate my new driving style. I've already put in for a fully armed STRYKER VEHICLE for next yr.
4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?> smart
5. What your daily drive is like> 50% city? 50% highway?)
6. Whether your car has any known problems> No

Our newer Forester has the same drivetrain.
Subaru does call for 6K drains on these, down from the 7.5K that was originally recommended for this engine. This may have been intended to reduce timing chain wear.
Anyway, in order of preference, I'd use M1 EP or AFE, PP, QSUD or Synpower in the recommended 0W-20 grade. There are also good choices in this grade from Castrol but it's been years since I've used any Syntec or Edge and I've never tried Magnatec so I can't speak on them personally. There are also some very sharply priced store brand oils in this grade and if cost is a concern you could use one of them. While you'd give up some CCV/MRV performance, these oils still qualify as 0Ws and any one of them would be fine on a 6K drain interval.
Just my two cents.
You'll love the Subie in the snow and they also deliver heat quickly, a real plus in the current absurd cold.

I bought a 17 Avalon in July, my first 0w20 car. I'm going to do M1 AFE because it's easily available at Walmart or when on sale at Costco. I'm doing 5k oci instead of the recommended 10k. I did a change myself at 5k. I will get a free change from Toyota at 10k and 20k.

Congrats on your new Legacy. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

The Subaru 2.5 FE isn't particular. Stay with a name brand 0W-20 synthetic that meets the specs in the manual. My Outback has gotten Castrol Edge, Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy, Pennzoil Platinum, and Royal Purple High Performance. My preference is the M1 AFE and the PP. The only one I wouldn't recommend is the RP HP. My Outback uses about 1 quart of oil between 7.5k mile oil changes, but it seems to go through it a little faster when it has RP HP in the crankcase.

But that may not matter to you, as Subaru is supposed to have addressed the oil consumption issue starting with the MY '15 2.5 FE engines.

M1 EP is overkill for 7500 miles.

I'd run M1 AFE 0w20 till the warranty expires. While it'll be a waste of half the life of a filter, I'd run Fram Ultra with it and change each time. Not sure your warranty will stay intact if you don't change both. For me the $3 extra dollars each change for the Ultra is worth it, its one of the best out there right now.

Originally Posted By: jdavis
Does it need head gaskets yet?

LOL. Good one
grin.gif

Lot's of Subaru FB engine experience here: I have used Pennzoil Platinum, QSUD, M1 AFE, Valvoline SynPower & NAPA Syn in 0W-20 flavors in different cars over the years. No issues with any of these, and I doubt you'd find any problem with any of these as well. Subaru has a unique high bypass on their filters, so either run the OEM filter or use the WIX 57055 or Napa 7055 which are spec'd to the high bypass setting.

You are going to love your car.

Last edited:
I use Amsoil and Schaeffer products. If I we're you, I'd just pick a brand name of oil you feel good about. It's hard not to like Pennzoil (Arnold Palmer used Pennzoil and who doesn't love him?), Valvoline, Quaker State. Some people make a big deal about buying what's cheapest, on sale, etc. and that is important to them. When "I" think about trying to save $10 an oil change 4 times a year it doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I just make too much money and am able to come up with $40 extra in a year/car. After all, that would buy me 3/4 tank of gas, right? Hey, I have a hard time buying generic aspirin. I hope I am being clear in saying, it probably won't amount to a hill of beans which oil you choose. Buy what you have confidence in. You may find some brands of oils are quieter at idle. I tend to like those. A quieter engine at start up just makes me feel good. Remember, perception is reality.
shocked.gif

I change every 5K even with Amsoil SS and Schaeffer 9000 synthetic. Makes it nice an easy to remember by the odometer. I'd use OEM filters.

I usually run The Eneos 0w20 with a wix filter. I’m running Amsoil Signiture series in it now just because i had it. Will go back to Eneos next change at 6000 miles .

I've got a '16 Forester with a 2.5. I've used most of the oils that Walmart sells in the 0W-20 variety. All about the same. If i had to say, I think Valvoline idles a bit smoother than the rest. Gas mileage has been the same with all the oils. That is to say between 25-30 mpg depending on weather and driving conditions.

I tend to use the Subaru filter (I've used a Hastings a few times with seemingly no ill effects) as some people say the higher bypass setting on the filter is what a Subie should have.

Good luck with your new ride!

Originally Posted By: Gebo

LOL. Good one
grin.gif

Sure is. If you are trying to show your ignorance. Or prejudice.

Just as well ask if a buyer of a new Odyssey has had to replace his transmission yet. Or if the driver of a new Toyota is concerned about the accelerator pedal sticking. Or if that new Ford pickup has blown a spark plug yet. Of if the frame has rusted out on a new Tacoma.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BHopkins
Originally Posted By: Gebo

LOL. Good one
grin.gif

Just as well ask if a buyer of a new Odyssey has had to replace his transmission yet. Or if the driver of a new Toyota is concerned about the accelerator pedal sticking. Or if that new Ford pickup has blown a spark plug yet. Of if the frame has rusted out on a new Tacoma.

+1

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan

Pretty stupid since that issue was taken care of years ago...

Originally Posted By: BHopkins

Huh? Go do your research kids, this was a problem for 20 f-ing years with multiple model Subaru's, not a problem with a couple of years on one model. Oh great, in 2010/11 they replaced the engine with a newer FB engine but that had a number of oil burning issues instead. Great Engines!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back