M1 to PP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been using M1 in my vehicles for years with no issues. But lately I've been reading some good things about Penzoil Platinum. Thinking about possibly trying it in my Tacoma 4.0. Finding it in 5w-30 is not a problem. But finding it in 0w-20 for the wife's RAV4 hydrid has been challenging. If it's not available in that weight, why not?

Also...with HM oils it seems like the preference around here is M1 Hm vs the PP. Any particular reason?

All M1 oils are considered grp 4 oil with a base stock of PAO, esters, and other synthetic fluids.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hogwash
Been using M1 in my vehicles for years with no issues. But lately I've been reading some good things about Penzoil Platinum. Thinking about possibly trying it in my Tacoma 4.0. Finding it in 5w-30 is not a problem. But finding it in 0w-20 for the wife's RAV4 hydrid has been challenging. If it's not available in that weight, why not?

Also...with HM oils it seems like the preference around here is M1 Hm vs the PP. Any particular reason?

Tig1, it's the guys 1st post. Pretty good probability he doesn't know what any of that means?

Welcome to the site, Hogwash. No idea why you are having a hard time finding 0W-20 but like you're wanting to do, I did years ago when I seen/read on here many UOA's from Pennzoil looked better than the UAO's from Mobil.

Also, Pennzoil was also highly recommended to me by many members on here so I have looked back since.

Ive used pp in my tiburon for quite a while and i sold it to my father in law. He switched to castrol edge and it uses about 1 qt every 3k instead of the quarter quart it would use on pp. i use it my other vechiles and cant be happyier

I used the two brands interchangeably now and pick up whichever viscosity I get a deal on - which is almost always the Mobil brand.

UD

The HM oils usually mentioned here are Valvoline Maxlife and M1.

You can switch to Pennzoil Platinum and probably will not notice a difference at all. M1 is a good oil as are any of the major brands. As mentioned already, marketing is a very strong influence at telling consumers that one oil is better than the rest.

Both are very good oils although at the moment I prefer Pennzoil. I look for an online source, like AMZN or WMT, then look for a good deal which can often be combined with a rebate, and load up. I've been doing just that for years, and never have to worry about getting oil or a filter when it comes time for an oil change. I'll typically have a 6-24 month supply on hand.

Thanks folks. And yes...I known little about the terminology. Been lurking for a while and figured I'd post up.

Walmart has PP for a little cheaper than the M1. But some of you may be right. If M1 is a fine oil...no sense in rocking the boat.

I typically use a Fram Tough Gaurd cartridge filter and M1 0w-20 on the RAV and an M1 filter and M1 5w-30 on the Taco. 5k OCIs. Those OCIs might be a bit of overkill. But it's what I'm comfortable doing.

Father in law is a tight wad with his vehicles. I do the OCs on his '03 Dakota and '04 Sienna and have for years. Both vehicles have used SuperTech conventional 5w-30 and SuperTech filters for many years. I switched to the HM SuperTech formula a couple of years back. Both vehicles are well north of 100k miles and run great with nothing burned between OCs

Thanks folks. And yes...I known little about the terminology. Been lurking for a while and figured I'd post up.

Walmart has PP for a little cheaper than the M1. But some of you may be right. If M1 is a fine oil...no sense in rocking the boat.

I typically use a Fram Tough Gaurd cartridge filter and M1 0w-20 on the RAV and an M1 filter and M1 5w-30 on the Taco. 5k OCIs. Those OCIs might be a bit of overkill. But it's what I'm comfortable doing.

Father in law is a tight wad with his vehicles. I do the OCs on his '03 Dakota and '04 Sienna and have for years. Both vehicles have used SuperTech conventional 5w-30 and SuperTech filters for many years. I switched to the HM SuperTech formula a couple of years back. Both vehicles are well north of 100k miles and run great with nothing burned between OCs

I am not looking to start an oil battle, but if the price of the PP is cheaper, that is the route I'd go. Like I mentioned earlier, it was suggested to me years ago to run Pennzoil based on it receiving better UOA's (Less wear metals than Mobil, typically) and a far better price.
I don't mind paying more for something that I know is better, but it bugs the h*ll out of me paying more for something that is inferior.

Originally Posted By: tig1
All M1 oils are considered grp 4 oil with a base stock of PAO, esters, and other synthetic fluids.

I'd like to see a valid source on this, care to share?

Originally Posted By: jongies3

The SDS on Mobil’s website list PAO anywhere from 30-70% depending on the particular type and weight of the oil.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: jongies3

The SDS on Mobil’s website list PAO anywhere from 30-70% depending on the particular type and weight of the oil.

Also all M1 oils contain esters as well. Here is a link.

https://mobiloil.com/en/faq/ask-our-auto-experts/questions-for-auto-experts/what-is-ester-oil

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Does Group III VISOM count as a synthetic fluid in this context / discussion?

If you get a consensus on that here, it's more than a miracle.
wink.gif

But finding it in 0w-20 for the wife's RAV4 hydrid has been challenging. If it's not available in that weight, why not?

Mobil 1 0w20 is a challenge to find in Walmart in South Florida. They are either out of it or very low on it. When they have it in stock I stock up on it. Auto stores like Advance,Pep Boys and Napa generally always have Mobil 1 Ow20 but at a much higher price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back