Help with garage door problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
The garage door(9-feet) wide) has started making bang sound while opening and also while closing but NOT at the same point. I went through every roller and hinge to see if I could determine what was going on. After disconnecting from the automatic opener, I saw that it was hanging just off the floor (about 6 inches). At first I thought top rollers were not perfectly aligned. So fiddled with them. Eventually I kept them loose to see if they were the cause of the problem. Alas, that was not it. After doing little bit more research, it seems that the top most panel has slight buckle at the top of the door. I can feel it by running my finger. I compared it to the other door which does not have that crease. I also noticed that where the opener bracket connects to the door at the top, there is in/out moment when I push/pull on the bracket and makes the similar banging sound. The bolts to the brackets are solid. What exactly is keeping those bolts there? It almost feels as if the bolts are hooked up only to the skin of the panel and no structural metal underneath?

To be able to put garage door strut (aka stiffener) all the way across the top, I will need to have support in the center but I don't feel there is anything for it to grab. But the bracket is obviously connected there! I am not understanding the mechanics completely yet.

The garage has weathered 17 New England years. Is it time just to open the checkbook and have somebody put a new door in?

Lowes sells 10 foot section for the bracing strut. Assuming, I can have them chop in to 9 feet and assuming my Odyssey can fit it diagonally from the back to front, I am willing to try if you guys think I have a chance.

But remember, the door panel has permanent crease and I don't think bracing will get rid of it. I might have damaged the panel beyond salvage. I think the manual track lock was accidentally engaged and I did not realize it and tried to force up/down the door couple of time before giving up on it yesterday and took the other car. Only after coming back I noticed the activation of manual track lock which must have been knocked sideways while unloading the vehicle. I wish I should have instantly recognized the symptoms and had not tried to force the door to open against that lock. This might have caused the crease.

Originally Posted By: supton
How long do garage doors last?

Until they rot or get bent!

Mine is 27 years old so far. It needed new door springs and an electrical solenoid for the motor. To be honest mine is not used every day otherwise I'm sure the motor would have been worn out by now. The door itself looks new. Old quality made American product, made to last.

Whimsey

I would see if you can disconnect the top panel. Remove it, see if you can bend it to remove the buckle and maybe reinforce that area and reinstall the panel. Trying to deal with it while its in place may not work well.

Maybe a new door.

The door is made in USA, by Windsor Door Model 575. Replacing it will be just putting more money in to Chinese coffer. I think I should try bracing before calling uncle.

When we sold our house in Winnipeg it still had the original garage door. The house with attached garage was built between 1929 and 1932. I replaced the bottom "board" because it was getting a little rotten.

I would stand on a ladder overlooking the door and observe as some one manually lifts the door.

You could always screw a 2 X 4 into the cavity behind the metal lip to see if that was a lack of reinforcement problem. If that helps to stop the bang noise they buy the brace and do it right.

3 Pictures?
-1 from middle, 2 from sides and a bit up to see the torque/spring set-up you have?

I'm 6'2" and about 250# (at the time):
I de-installed the damaged door, and installed a Menards door, panel by panel + new springs by myself
-safety first!!!!!!!!!
-sustain door from under in 2-3 points

Are the tracks plus walls/wood holding them in good condition and leveled?
Is the steel wire cable route free of obstructions?
do the rollers "slip"? what is their condition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back