Castrol Edge EP 5w30 3,455 miles 2017 Equinox

Status
Not open for further replies.
So yes, I know that this was a very short OCI for this oil but if you remember a few months ago while changing out the Factory Fill I found a large Aluminium shaving in the oil filter housing. Link to previous post This UOA was just to see if there was anything crazy going on with that. Interesting to see the amount of fuel dilution.

I’ll say the report looks fine. Engine still breaking in. Thank you for posting
smile.gif

Wear metals seem to be OK for a newish engine and should get better with time.

But there is a lot of fuel dilution in the sample and, considering viscosity dropped about 3 points from new, a lot more than Blackstone's % estimate. Probably not much you can do about it but it does suggest these engines are not good candidates for really long OCIs.

And are you sure the shaving was aluminum? Could it have been debris from manufacture of the oil,filter itself?

Originally Posted By: Danh
Wear metals seem to be OK for a newish engine and should get better with time.

But there is a lot of fuel dilution in the sample and, considering viscosity dropped about 3 points from new, a lot more than Blackstone's % estimate. Probably not much you can do about it but it does suggest these engines are not good candidates for really long OCIs.

And are you sure the shaving was aluminum? Could it have been debris from manufacture of the oil,filter itself?

The shaving was non magnetic, probably came from the engine block manufacturing process and didn't get washed out completely.

I am guessing that the fuel dilution came from many remote starts in the morning and at the end of the working day. But who knows?

Sooner or later you’ll have to do what I did and bump up the viscosity. Castrol Edge 0w-40 should solve that low viscosity at end of OCI blues. My ‘11 EB F150 also dilutes the oil due to Fords generous fuel trims early in production. Never went in for a reflash, just started using thicker oil. Been using Edge 0w-40 for over 60k miles with zero problems; actually the engine seems to prefer it. 111k miles, zero consumption. If you can stand changing oil at 3500 miles, give the 0w-40 a whirl and see what you think. If you don’t like it dump it for something else @ 3.5k.
But I think you’ll like it.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
The shaving was non magnetic, probably came from the engine block manufacturing process and didn't get washed out completely.
shavings from manufacturing are generally of irregular shapes and sharp edges, but the sample photo has right-angled corners.
Interesting that 30% viscosity drop with high fuel dilution doesn't result in high metal (break-in) wear rate.
Modern AW add pack is effective, I speculate.

Break in stuff. What's the point? First uoa sb after breakin. 20,000. or so .02.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Break in stuff. What's the point? First uoa sb after breakin. 20,000. or so .02.

The point is:
1. The large metal shaving found in the filter. (see the link at the top of this post)
2. Fuel dilution
3. cST viscosity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back