What Ratio Do You Mix Your Antifreeze?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use the Toyota Red and mix it 60% antifreeze and 40% distilled water. What is your ratio if you mix your antifreeze? I realize most antifreezes come premixed at a 50:50 ratio.

The issue with Pre-diluted 50/50 is that about a quart or more remains in the engine when doing a flush & refill. You end up with something like 45/55 when using pre-diluted.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
The issue with Pre-diluted 50/50 is that about a quart or more remains in the engine when doing a flush & refill. You end up with something like 45/55 when using pre-diluted.

Now that's what I'm talking about...I was wondering if anyone else ever thought about this. YOU ARE THE MAN!

That may be true for some vehicles Eddie, but for my 04 Camry V6, it didn't make enough of a difference to change the pre-mixed -34F guarantee. Opening the radiator and both engine banks on the 1MZ_FE V6 completely drains the cooling system.

I always buy 2 gallons of antifreeze if doing anything coolant to my cars. 1 gal pure antifreeze into car/truck. Split the other gallon into empty antifreeze jug with distilled water making 2 gallons 50/50 mix. Top off radiator. -30° to -45° all the time. I then mark the remaining jug "50/50".

Originally Posted By: Gebo

Now that's what I'm talking about...I was wondering if anyone else ever thought about this.....

Sure thought about it. However if doing a simple radiator d&f assuming the preferred 50% concentration has been used all along, 50/50 premix in radiator keeps the system same.

If one wants to do a complete flush/exchange using a premix after a distilled water flush series, then it can become an issue. Have to test the AF concentration (hydrometer), to make sure it's preferred 50% concentration. Depending on how it's done using a premix, can be a wasteful process.

That's why including not paying for half water with a premix, using a concentrated AF is always preferable. Can make your own 50/50 mix for rad d&f. Or, after a distilled flush series, use/fill half system capacity full strength AF, top with distilled water.

To answer question, 50% AF protects to -34F, plenty of leeway most of the US. So 50% AF concentration works for me.

In my area, I can do 60(distilled water)/40(coolant) or even 70/30, but I usually go with pre made 50/50
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back