0 oil pressure for 10 seconds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy New Year. Well had to use the 02 jeep this morning. It was -32. Nose of jeep was pulled in the garage a little. Went to start and it turned over slow but did start. Was watching oil gauge and it showed O for about 10 seconds. Then a light came on beeping check gauges. Then the gauge started showing pressure and light went out. Never knew this light was even there in 6 years. Jeep has the 4.0. Just serviced about a month ago with valvoline maxlife 5w30 SB and added a little zinc and 1/4 bottle of lubro moly mos2 and motorcraft FL-1A. Does it sound like the adbv did not open quick enough. This is a top thread adbv. Your opinions are appreciated.

At those temps I would be using a block or pan heater. How was the engine noise on startup and for the first moments?

I had the same thing with my Jeep in -27*F. 10w30 PYB and a Mopar filter.

First time I heard the check gauges chime too.

I am assuming you mean the bypass as opposed to the ADBV. I am sure both functioned properly given the conditions. -32* (be it *F or *C) is cold!

Last edited:
This is an example of slow oil flow in extreme cold temps. Perhaps changing to a 0-30 would help.

Maxlife is a synthetic, but it's pour point is -40 degrees F if I remember correctly.
-32 F is getting close to that.

+1 for some kind of block heater.
BTW, Even if it is just a shop lamp with an old school 60 watt incandescent bulb placed under the oil pan 20 minutes before driving, I've heard of such measures significantly helping at such temperatures.

-32f is exactly freezing point and as the Jeep was with the nose in the garage engine temp was probably a tad higher.
I would exclude something frozen excepth the oil pressure sensor get stuck for some seconds.
The ADBV (Anti Drain Back Valve)avoid that the oil drain back to the sump and should keep the oil in some parts of the upper part of the engine.
If the valve would be stuck close then the oil pressure would rise fast, if she is stuck open then all the oil drians back in the sump and
the oil pump has to fill all oil conducts after every start.

However, if the oil pressure is really near zero for 10 seconds than that's not a good thing!
As long the oil pump is good and sucking oil she should build up pressure much quicker.

Chris

The jeep always had a light piston slap when I purchased 6 years ago with 55,000 now have 168,000 miles. Once engine is warm no slap at all. This morning there was no more noise then usual (actually a little less). Dead quite when warm and driving. Use to run maxlife 5w30 conventional or Quaker state defy 5w30 conventional. Now both are synthetic blend and was a little more noisy. That is why I add the little zinc and moly.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
At those temps I would be using a block or pan heater. How was the engine noise on startup and for the first moments?
The jeep always had a light piston slap when I purchased 6 years ago with 55,000 now have 168,000 miles. Once engine is warm no slap at all. This morning there was no more noise then usual (actually a little less). Dead quite when warm and driving. Use to run maxlife 5w30 conventional or Quaker state defy 5w30 conventional. Now both are synthetic blend and was a little more noisy. That is why I add the little zinc and moly.

What oil you did have on the bearings would be more the consistency of a very light grease. It is doubtful anything was harmed. The anti drainback valve probably did not seal and allowed the oil galleys to drain. You would have had some flow to the bearings before the gauge could respond. Cold weather is hard on equipment, and the automakers test for it. I have heard they test at -40 if the winter lets them.

Rod

Way too cold for that oil. There is no telling whether damage happened or not. Might depend on the last shutdown and how hot it was. Remember even with pressure indicated, many components may not have flow. Such as the bearings farthest from the filter. As the rod bearings get flow through the main bearings and drilled passages on the crank.

Originally Posted By: tig1
This is an example of slow oil flow in extreme cold temps. Perhaps changing to a 0-30 would help.

Tig1 has a good suggestion here. Being that the OP is in Vermont, cold winters are the norm perhaps not this cold but nonetheless. Having a heater just helps the engine.

Someone else mentioned that -31F is just freezing. I would rethink that.

Agree Tuesday will look for a block heater. These temps will continue through this and next week. Heck we haven't even gotten to the cold months yet

Originally Posted By: littleant
Agree Tuesday will look for a block heater. These temps will continue through this and next week. Heck we haven't even gotten to the cold months yet

You really should also look into some full syn 0w-30 as well.

sorry but i may missunderstood, you are talking of -32F and that is -35 celsius.
Yes, this is cold and may explain the low oil pressure.
If temp drops frequently so low then a block heater would be a good solution, and a 0W-40 oil will aso help with cold start.
Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: littleant
One of those stick on heaters like a Wolverine, or even a magnetic one (like a Kat's) would be enough to get the oil warm enough to flow. I use an XG8A on my 4.0, I haven't had any trouble with ADBV drainage-possibly the nitrile one on the FL-1A doesn't like extreme temps?

Originally Posted By: CostaCaptain
sorry but i may missunderstood, you are talking of -32F and that is -35 celsius.
Yes, this is f..ng cold and may explain the low oil pressure.
If temp drops frequently so low then a block heater would be a good solution, and a 0W-40 oil will aso help with cold start.
Chris

As TIG1 already said a M1 0w30 would help
smile.gif

I have a '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee that was built for the Canadian market. Both the temp gauge and the oil pressure gauge are printed in metric.
Anyway, my Jeep has a factory plug-in coolant heater that takes the place of a soft plug. This cold weather snap might not last too long, but for peace of mind, you might talk to your Jeep dealer and see if they still sell this. I suppose there are aftermarket varieties also.

Originally Posted By: CostaCaptain
-32f is exactly freezing point and as the Jeep was with the nose in the garage engine temp was probably a tad higher.
I would exclude something frozen excepth the oil pressure sensor get stuck for some seconds.
The ADBV (Anti Drain Back Valve)avoid that the oil drain back to the sump and should keep the oil in some parts of the upper part of the engine.
If the valve would be stuck close then the oil pressure would rise fast, if she is stuck open then all the oil drians back in the sump and
the oil pump has to fill all oil conducts after every start.

However, if the oil pressure is really near zero for 10 seconds than that's not a good thing!
As long the oil pump is good and sucking oil she should build up pressure much quicker.

Chris

NO, that's 64* below the freezing point
laugh.gif

With those temps, I'd swap it for any 0W-30. Prolly leave the filter in place and just have the lube shop to the pan vol change. I would not be laying on the ground doing it myself ...

But, this is also a case where an oversized filter is helpful. The larger media area allows the pump to push thick oil through over more media area so the by-pass will close quicker and you'll be running filtered oil quicker
smile.gif

Last edited:
This is the larger filter for the 4.0. I tried full synthetic 5w-30 when I purchased. It was summer and the piston slap was loud. Even at road speed you could hear a little. Drained out a used QS Defy 5w-30 and 90% of the slap was gone at start up, and none at road speed. Put 100,000 miles on it. Now I cannot find conventional high mileage any more. So had to go semi synthetic and add a little zinc and moly to get it back the way it was with conventional. Do you thing a dome end bypass valve would be better than the threaded end. (had no issues at -20) Is conventional oil on its way out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back