Lifting a 1 1/2 Ton Counter Weight off a Forklift

Status
Not open for further replies.

The muffler rusted out and the power steering cylinder developed a leak. The counter weight has to be taken off to access both components.

Checking the internet and Youtube in particular only resulted in instructions to use a second forklift to lift off the counterweight. However we only have this one Toyota forklift. What to do?

So we fabricated this structure, with the four posts being 10' long 4x4s. The two chain hoists are 1 ton Speedway brand units from Home Depot, for $55 each. I used 3/4 in eyebolts rated at 6000 lbs each and extended them with coupling nuts and 3/4 threaded rod.

The whole operation went pretty smoothly.

Hard to tell with the photo and obviously what you did worked, but the beam with the eye bolts looks like the weak link. Very good idea though and much cheaper than bringing more equipment in.

I like it! I recently had to change out the large rear tires on my tractor and every step I thought about getting the tractor to lift them. Was like trying to turn the lights on when you know the power is out.

The lower half of the beam is 7 2x4s on their sides all screwed together and the upper half is 3 4x4s. The halves are clamped together with lag bolts. The beam was cobbled together without much planning. I was expecting more bending of the beam but there is no obvious bending of the beam with a 1 1/2 ton load. It helps that the load is not all concentrated at the middle of the beam but is applied at two points a foot apart.

Originally Posted By: George7941

The muffler rusted out and the power steering cylinder developed a leak. The counter weight has to be taken off to access both components.

Checking the internet and Youtube in particular only resulted in instructions to use a second forklift to lift off the counterweight. However we only have this one Toyota forklift. What to do?

So we fabricated this structure, with the four posts being 10' long 4x4s. The two chain hoists are 1 ton Speedway brand units from Home Depot, for $55 each. I used 3/4 in eyebolts rated at 6000 lbs each and extended them with coupling nuts and 3/4 threaded rod.

The whole operation went pretty smoothly.

That's pretty ingenious, and it looks like you planned it out well, but it would still make me nervous using wood. Is it off a Toyota Tow motor or something different?

It is a 1998 Toyota forklift, model 426FGU25, 2 1/2 ton capacity. Solid well built forklift with about 13000 hours on it and working very well.

I wasn't too sure about the wood beam, but,as you can see in the picture, it is not deflecting much under the 1 1/2 ton load. Also it is not as if we are working under the load. We operated the chain hoists standing away a bit from the structure in case anything failed.

4x4 held in column is good for 50K+ so the cross beams are the weak links. You's are obviously up to the job
smile.gif

Folks have been building huge heavy stuff with wood for ever. It works as long as no mistakes are made ...

Originally Posted By: George7941
It is a 1998 Toyota forklift, model 426FGU25, 2 1/2 ton capacity. Solid well built forklift with about 13000 hours on it and working very well.

I wasn't too sure about the wood beam, but,as you can see in the picture, it is not deflecting much under the 1 1/2 ton load. Also it is not as if we are working under the load. We operated the chain hoists standing away a bit from the structure in case anything failed.

We use those at work as well, OPG.
smile.gif
and that is likely why the use of wood makes me nervous as that is something we'd never do.
However, like you mentioned and the other reply above, you have adequate weight carrying abilities with the amount and the size of wood you used and how you designed/implemented it.

Good job.
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back