New Year's Day Ride Not Looking Good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clear and sunny, but forecast high of 14 F. Currently as I compose this post, it's 1 F outside and tonight's low is predicted to reach -1.

Probably skip it this year. No big deal.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Clear and sunny, but forecast high of 14 F. Currently as I compose this post, it's 1 F outside and tonight's low is predicted to reach -1.

Probably skip it this year. No big deal.

-5F this morning here.
We've had snowfall of maybe a couple of inches over the past week, but it's still on roads here and there due to the wind blowing it out of fields and the bitter cold we've had since Christmas day not allowing it to melt.
I'd leave the bike in the garage unless you just want to do a very short spin just to have done it.

Our annual polar bear ride has been cancelled here as well. Rounding a curve and finding a sheet of ice across the road would be a bad thing.

Yeah, I'm not going. There's been no precipitation since Christmas Eve, that was a dusting and is gone. Bike lives in attached garage which stays about 50-55F inside, but out in this bitter cold the run would be so short all I'd accomplish is to put some condensate into the crankcase that I wouldn't be out long enough to boil off.

Cancelled.

I usually head out at around 11:45pm on New Year's Eve, and get back home at 12:15am in the new year. It makes it the last ride of the old year, and first ride of the new year.

Not this year. It was -15 when I got up this morning at 6am, with a wind chill of -35. Plus, we had a short inch of snow fall on Sunday morning, which surprised all of the clueless forecasters (which is pretty much all of them), so the roads are a mess.

Just not meant to be this year. I've pulled it off in 8 degree temperatures in the past.

But... I can't complain. The first weekend in December, I was riding in Missouri in 70 degree weather.

Too cold to ride, as well
frown.gif

It's summer here, and I don't have to go for a ride on the 1st day of the year, although I often do, I usually do a big ride around this time, thinking of visiting friends. Last ride of the year was on the 30th Dec - stopped for a rest in the shade on a whitebaiters stand by the river.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back