Special Service Auto Battery at NAPA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed a NAPA 65 series Battery marketed for Extreme Service. It is a Flooded type Battery. The Product Description said it had added water/larger reservoir to avoid the plates from drying up or something like that Due to Severe Service for like an Ambulance or Fire Use. It was about $20 or so more expensive than the regular battery and mentioned something about being able to fit under an existing Heat Shield. My question is has anyone tried a flooded battery like this for extreme service and is it any better? I know they make AGMs that are more robust, but am not interested in trying them as I don't know if my Alternator/ Home Battery Charger is really set up to properly Charge without overcharging. My Battery is also under the hood and I'm not sure how the AGM Batteries handle the Heat in the engine as opposed to being under a seat in a cooler area of the vehicle.

I know AGMs are good Batteries. I just was not sure My Alternator was set up to charge an AGM properly such as under charging or overcharging. I have read that AGMs may not be that tolerant of a hot engine compartment. the temps range from -5 to 110+

Many many AGM batteries out there installed in vehicles with stock charging systems.
Those systems may not be ideal for AGM, but they work just fine.
And they work in -25F and +110F.
I have had AGMs in my cars, trucks and motorcycles for over a decade.
They are just better.
As to your original question.......The Napa battery with extra acid above the plates just allows longer times between filling. Save your money and pop the caps every 6 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back