rechargeable 9 volt batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have way too many things that still require a 9 volt battery. they are not cheap either. i was thinking of getting some rechargable ones . i read they are not true 9 volt but 8.4 or 7.2 . also they don't last long

anyone have 9 volt rechargable and share your experience with them?

I have some that are 8.4V spec.

I use them only for motor or lighting application. For the rest, the less voltage and the auto discharge rate is not advantageous. Alkaline are the way.

Same with 1.2V rechargeable (1.5V conventional) : they don’t work well in some electronic appliances. I used them only for lighting, motor, digital cameras (they seems built for this). I even use Alkaline in my toys drones romote controllers

What things are you using that require 9v? I prefer regular lithium batteries for things like smoke detectors. They can last 10 years. I used to pick them up on eBay for around $4-$6 each. Or I just grab a bunch of regular 9v alkaline on eBay, usually when you get a dozen or more at a time, they're usually in the $1+ range each, at least it's cheaper than the store.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
What things are you using that require 9v? I prefer regular lithium batteries for things like smoke detectors. They can last 10 years. I used to pick them up on eBay for around $4-$6 each. Or I just grab a bunch of regular 9v alkaline on eBay, usually when you get a dozen or more at a time, they're usually in the $1+ range each, at least it's cheaper than the store.

Shot timer, chrono, ear protection . i am just tires of buying batts for them . the ear muffs eat batteries

Originally Posted By: WhyMe
i am just tires of buying batts for them . the ear muffs eat batteries

My shooting muffs don't use any batteries!
grin.gif
crackmeup2.gif
cheers3.gif

Mine don't either...not much interested in conversations while pulling the trigger.

I've got a REZAP charger that will charge regular Alkalines, including 9V...the 6V and 9V are a "pile" in that they are a number of cells in series, so the smarts in the charger don't work as well when charging them..get a few rounds out of them (unless they are Duracel...duracel batteries pop when recharged, just about any other gets me 4-5 goes at it before they simply fail...then leak in the recycling bottle)

There are some nice 9.6v nimh lsd batteries, but I've recently changed to 2cell lithium ion. Much lower voltage off the bat, but holds up with a flatter discharge curve than alkaline so in the end the results are pretty good. Nearly 3 times the capacity of the nimh and about the same as a reasonable alkaline. I'm impressed, and I'm a pretty hard marker on batteries.

It's a bit of a search to find quality units with verifiable data sheets and local support though.

Have you tried DX.com. Good stuf and bad stuff. Just don't be in a big hurry. They come from China usually. Be sure to read reviews

I get my 9Vs from Dollar Tree. Run them in smoke detectors for a year (they lose 0.2 volts doing that) and then throw them in the junk drawer for reuse in voltmeters etc.

Originally Posted By: vwmaniaman
Have you tried DX.com. Good stuff and bad stuff. Just don't be in a big hurry. They come from China usually. Be sure to read reviews

I stopped buying from them a long time ago. Their batteries are usually fake. I just got a charger that will run down the battery and charge it up to tell you the mah rating of the battery. I've gotten some real 18650 batteries from Amazon that meet their 2300mah ratings and I found a few old ones that claimed 2000-3000 but they didn't even crack 1000 on my charger.

I pretty much just buy lithium 9v for smoke detectors and my Fluke. My Fluke eats Alkaline 9Vs so fast I can hardly change them out fast enough. The Lithium one I put in it is still going strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back