Have you used WD-40 as engine oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope, won’t use it as such EVER
smile.gif

Yup, bought by the gallon to flush hidden water out of engines after flooding. Drain original oil,filter and all the water you can get; fill engine with WD-40 and run 5 minutes at modest high idle (say 1,500 RPM). Drain resultant oil/water mix. Refill with regular oil and cruise on. Works every time
smile.gif

Many un-informed users think it'a a good lubricant/penetrant. W D stands for Water Dispersant and is used to prevent rust and corrosion.

I tried to treat the carburetor on my 2 stroke 2.5 HP outboard for my sailboat with WD-40 and I sprayed a lot on it because I wanted to be sure to get it in the small idle air hole of the carb. I pulled the rope and the engine started and ran for several seconds on WD-40.

I would not use WD-40 as an engine oil because from what I learned from that experience is is combustible.

Last edited:
I was told that my car needed an xW40 oil, so I thought WD40 was exactly what I should be using. Are you guys now telling me that I've been doing the wrong thing?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
I would not use WD-40 as an engine oil because from what I learned from that experience is is combustible.

I have used it for engine start on IDI diesels because ether is a bit aggressive and it nearly kills them.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
That stuff is SO thin.... I'm really surprised that engine lasted

The MSDS says its viscosity is 2.5-2.8 cSt at 100C. SAE 30 is about 10!

It makes a good starting fluid for gas vehicles....
I've done it a few times starting flooded cars or cars that have been sitting a while and gotten some strange looks from people including one old gear head who was restoring a Roadrunner and selling an old Valiant to finance it.Had to use the Wd to crank the slant six in the val,dude looked at me like I was crazy when I suggested it as a sub for starting fluid.He shook his head when it worked and then grinned and said "learned new stuff today"

Originally Posted By: urrlord
It makes a good starting fluid for gas vehicles....
I've done it a few times starting flooded cars or cars that have been sitting a while and gotten some strange looks from people including one old gear head who was restoring a Roadrunner and selling an old Valiant to finance it.Had to use the Wd to crank the slant six in the val,dude looked at me like I was crazy when I suggested it as a sub for starting fluid.He shook his head when it worked and then grinned and said "learned new stuff today"

I've used it as a starting aid, and it works, but I think its probably mostly the propellant (butane?) which does the biz. These days I just use butane.

I wipe WD-40 on the bike rack on the back of my SUburban. It's eight years old and still looks great.

I use it to clean glue from duct tape and stickers and I use it sometimes as an assembly lube for tight fitting parts. That's about it.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: Linctex
This guy does the stupidest stuff!

Fixed that for ya.

Sure.. this video has been up for 3 days, and he's had 146,000 views so far. At this rate, he'll easily hit 300,000 views. What kind of monetization do you think that's going to get him? Definitely enough to cover a beat up used lawn mower.

I call that SMART.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back