2017 Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6

Status
Not open for further replies.

I was thinking of going back to a pick up since the kids are grown and was considering trading in my 2012 Camry with 25K. Any opinions pro or con with this vehicle. I had an SR5 04 and loved it but the back seating was horrible which is no longer an issue.

The V6 on the newer Tacomas is different. This is a cardinal complaint about the newer Tacomas. It has carlike characteristics that seem out of place in a truck.

I would get a quad cab long bed for the extra space. My '15 is a quad cab short bed and I often wish I had gone with the longer bed.

The 3.5 L in the Tacoma isn't a bad engine and some changes were made between 2016 and 2017 models. I currently have a 2016 TRD Sport 4x4 Auto on loan for a friend who is deployed overseas for a year. I drive it for him while he's gone.

Most complaints in the 2016 trucks are automatic transmission trucks, the shift program is set to return fuel economy and I find that it's always a gear too high around town and it downshifts more than I'd like on the freeway. The freeway downshifting is partly because Toyota used a 3.90 axle ratio in place of the 4.10 they've been using for years. 2017 went back to the 4.10 ratio which should help the excessive highway grade shifting.

Activating the ECT Pwr transmission switch (sport mode I find you will) helps with being a gear too high all the time around town but does delay upshifts enough to be slightly annoying but still better than feeling like the engine is lugging and unresponsive all the time. All of these are non issues on manual transmission trucks. There are revised shift programs toyota can program the truck with, the truck I have has been updated.

My only other frustration with this truck aside from the transmission programming is the limited front corner visibility due to the high hood line.

Overall the truck rides and drives fantastic and returns exceptionally good fuel economy compared to previous models. The 3.5 makes excellent power and tows exceptionally well for a small truck.

Hopefully this is of some help.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't own his truck just because of the automatic programming. I'd really enjoy it with a manual or a better suited automatic shift program. My mothers GS350 Lexus has the same transmission and if his truck shifted like her Lexus does the truck would be incredible.

I would drive one and pay special attention to the transmission programming. If it doesn't bother you then go for it. I had a 2016 TRD Offroad DCSB that I sold after only one year because I was told the transmission would "learn" and get better. I can safely say, it doesn't get better. It will always downshift 2 gears even for a slight grade, or just trying to accelerate a little on the highway.

I have been reading that the 2016/2017 V6 SR5 vehicles have engine and transmission issues.

Last edited:
Do yourself a favour, try other trucks...including full size offerings, before buying the Toyota (this comes from a loyal Toyota driver). The other players have the same fuel economy in their full size offerings and much greater utility and power. Toyota isn’t what it once was...especially in the small (or big) truck market. The T100 was really the last Toyota truck I would have considered.

I have been offered a great deal on a new 2017 Tacoma 4cl. double cab at $15K but it does not have things like keyless remote, cruise control and intermittent wipers. Can these things be added aftermarket without being crazy expensive?

Originally Posted By: tcp71
Do yourself a favour, try other trucks...including full size offerings, before buying the Toyota (this comes from a loyal Toyota driver). The other players have the same fuel economy in their full size offerings and much greater utility and power. Toyota isn’t what it once was...especially in the small (or big) truck market. The T100 was really the last Toyota truck I would have considered.

My first new vehicle was a 1987 Toyota 4x4 truck. It was a great truck! My next new vehicle will probably be a truck. I don't really need a full size truck and prefer a manual transmission. That leaves me with the Toyota and Nissan as choices. The thing is I can get a full size, V8 truck with more power and better MPG.

I don't understand why the midsize trucks don't get better MPG.

Originally Posted By: mcrn
Test drive the 4cyl.....low hp and horrible mpg

...and last forever.

Originally Posted By: 007
I have been offered a great deal on a new 2017 Tacoma 4cl. double cab at $15K but it does not have things like keyless remote, cruise control and intermittent wipers. Can these things be added aftermarket without being crazy expensive?

$15k is a good deal, seems to me, but I don't know if those items can be easily nor cheaply added. I would look at ToyotaNation or the like. But to be honest, as cars get more complex, and have more modules coded, I have to think aftermarket additions like this will only be harder if not simply more expensive.

I'd only buy if you could be content without those items. Maybe you'll get lucky, and they can be added later at minimal cost. But I fear the new design is too new for anyone to know if those items can be "cheaply" added. As such, I'd recommend spending more and getting what you want.

Originally Posted By: supton

$15k is a good deal, seems to me, but I don't know if those items can be easily nor cheaply added. I would look at ToyotaNation or the like. But to be honest, as cars get more complex, and have more modules coded, I have to think aftermarket additions like this will only be harder if not simply more expensive.

I'd only buy if you could be content without those items. Maybe you'll get lucky, and they can be added later at minimal cost. But I fear the new design is too new for anyone to know if those items can be "cheaply" added. As such, I'd recommend spending more and getting what you want.

Trucks are expensive, but I think in this case it would be worth paying a bit more (if you can afford it) to get what you want. for example it would stink to buy a 4 cylinder because it is a good deal and a year or two down the road wish you bought the V6.

Indeed. I sometimes think I wish I had gotten the larger engine in my truck, and the cost bump would have been long paid off by now.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
Originally Posted By: mcrn
Test drive the 4cyl.....low hp and horrible mpg

...and last forever.

Yep. That 2.7 4 banger is a dandy engine. If you are not towing or hauling max capacity I would get it. They just keep running.

Probably not.

Always buy the vehicle with the options you want. Always. Better to buy used and have what you want than buy a brand new vehicle you can't stand. If the car doesn't have the options you want, and you don't know for sure (doing your own research - salespeople will say anything) that you can add them and how much time/money that will cost, don't buy the car...just don't.

I work at a dealer, and almost every day I deal with people who buy a totally stripped down new car and then decide they want a bunch of stuff it didn't come with. Most things are not just plug and play any more. Sometimes they are, but most of the time even accessories can be very specific to how the vehicle was equipped when it left the factory. For example, you can add cruise control to a new Cruze by changing the steering wheel using a GM "steering wheel kit." You cannot do this on a Spark...no way, no how. Your only option is a 1980s looking retrofit cruise control stalk from an aftermarket company for $300+. Even with the Cruze, just buy the one that has the stuff already. More stuff costs more money. That Taco is a great deal because absolutely nobody wants it. You can pay for the stuff now, or pay for it after you realize you absolutely hate the vehicle and can't live with it as equipped.

Go to Toyota's website and look for the accessories you want to add...if you can't find the accessory kits you want, forget it.

Better make sure that Taco has a CD player if you want that too.

I can't tell you the last time I saw a vehicle without these options, especially intermittent wipers.

Hasnt keyless remote been an aftermarket add on for several years? Intermittent wipers might be as simple as changing the control stalk but I wouldnt know for sure. Cruise control can be added but it probably wont operate quite like factory. I had cruise added to a Tundra and a Cavalier by an installer. I think Rostra makes aftermarket cruise.

Where are you finding a new double cab for $15k? Is that a typo? $25k maybe?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back