Installing Magnets on Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was able to source a non-functional microwave and able to pull 2 strong magnets from it.

Planning to use it on my two Gen 8 Civics, since filter is mounted vertically.

Is there a proper procedure for it? Or just stick it to the base of oil filter and keep reusing it, with every oil filter change?

P.S: Is there anything I can source from non-functional microwave before I trash it?
smile.gif

Thanks for all the help.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
So I was able to source a non-functional microwave and able to pull 2 strong magnets from it.

Is there a proper procedure for it? Or just stick it to the base of oil filter and keep reusing it, with every oil filter change?

P.S: Is there anything I can source from non-functional microwave before I trash it?
smile.gif

Thanks for all the help.

I just threw one out about a month ago but didn't know these magnets were in there.
33.gif

Anyways, after watching this vid, watch out for the capacitor as it can still be charged. (Didn't know that either)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QovaMj9bkc0

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: irv

smile.gif

Thanks for all the help.

I just threw one out about a month ago but didn't know these magnets were in there.
33.gif

Anyways, after watching this vid, watch out for the capacitor as it can still be charged. (Didn't know that either)

Believe it or not, I watched that same video a few weeks ago.

Fortunately, I was able to dismantle magnets without any issue and it was rather simple.

Never touched anything with my hands though, used pliers or screw drivers....

smile.gif

Thanks for all the help.

33.gif

Believe it or not, I watched that same video a few weeks ago.

Fortunately, I was able to dismantle magnets without any issue and it was rather simple.

Never touched anything with my hands though, used pliers or screw drivers....

Good to hear.
cheers3.gif

Wish I had of known about this. I just called up one of those recycler guys and they came and picked it up.

smile.gif

Thanks for all the help.

33.gif

i learned from my hs autp shop teacher how to charge a capacitor/ automotive condenser! We quickly charged up all we could find and began leaving them around school for unknowing kids to find. Tying the wire in a knot was a sure way to get someone to try to untie it...then zap!

Last edited:

smile.gif

Thanks for all the help.

33.gif

Whats the capacitance? I could do with a biggish capacitor. Mind you, not much chance of scoring a bust microwave here. Salvage goes quick.

[/quote]i learned from my hs autp shop teacher how to charge a capacitor/ automotive condenser! We quickly charged up all we could find and began leaving them around school for unknowing kids to find. Tying the wire in a knot was a sure way to get someone to try to untie it...then zap! [/quote]

My auto shop teacher did the same with us, except someone had already charged one up and HE got popped! Man, that was funny!

Originally Posted By: Toy4x4
[/quote]i learned from my hs autp shop teacher how to charge a capacitor/ automotive condenser! We quickly charged up all we could find and began leaving them around school for unknowing kids to find. Tying the wire in a knot was a sure way to get someone to try to untie it...then zap!

My auto shop teacher did the same with us, except someone had already charged one up and HE got popped! Man, that was funny!

[/quote]

Capacitor bombs were fun.

In other mayhem-

We put a van de graf generator on the music teachers desk and it charged for about 7 minutes straight.
The goal was to shock him - we don't think he'd ever seen one because he leaned into forward into it to get a look and a lightning bolt shot out and nearly knocked him out.

Hard drive magnets are pretty easy to get even better yet home dept sell magnets pretty cheap.

UD

I've always used external mags.

I think this scheme with the ND buttons directly exposed to the incoming flow is pretty solid way to go although Id try to avoid the partial blockage I see on the ND at 5:30 & 830 .

Allows diagnostics without cutting and insures good proximity to flow.

It doesn't work for all spin ons as sometimes you don't have the depth.

UD

Last edited:
I have a huge magnet that fits on the end of the filter. Filtermags fit on the sides. Maybe experiment both ways.

Its a waste of time IMHO.
We already know that any filter will make the oil such that the engine does not fail bc of particles in the oil. It fails bc of wear on rings dragging over products of combustion. But even if you don't buy that get a higher quality filter.

But wasting your time you are. However..I do siomilar things in the interest of "playiong around". Have a blast!!

I wouldj like to see Mola weigh in here. I frequently don't agree with him but I believe he could offer insight here. I do respect much of his knowledge. I suppose he would be surprised at that..lol.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
wonder if anyone has done a "scientific" study on all this?

They have.

Filter mag claim at minimum one full ISO code drop once installed and most of the time more than that - hardly insignificant.

We also have a member who has spent considerable time running some tests and documenting results. (I hate auto fraud)

Most Iron shavings basically go right through your filter and see gong round and round till you drain the sump.

Autos especially the commuter low HP stuff most guys here have - put out very little
Half ton truck and bigger - (under load) put out some
Motorhomes put out a lot
Boats - put out an incredible amount.

Magnets are the cheapest filter helper you can get and an excellent diagnostic tool

UD

Thanks UD, I always appreciate your advice and help.

I saw this study sometime ago and as usual late to the party.

I would rather have a magnet, than not having it for a peace of mind - to say the least.

I'll stick that magnet on the base of oil filter and call it a day
smile.gif

It's worth mentioning that the removal of iron particles from your oil, will

extend the life of the oil seals. Less iron particles to abraid the soft sealing rubber.

I have used twin Filtermags for years (CT3.2) .

The last time I had the rear main engine seal replaced was at 117,000 miles. The Civic now has 490,000 miles on it.

Originally Posted By: UncleDave
Originally Posted By: edwardh1
wonder if anyone has done a "scientific" study on all this?

They have.

Filter mag claim at minimum one full ISO code drop once installed and most of the time more than that - hardly insignificant.

We also have a member who has spent considerable time running some tests and documenting results. (I hate auto fraud)

Most Iron shavings basically go right through your filter and see gong round and round till you drain the sump.

Autos especially the commuter low HP stuff most guys here have - put out very little
Half ton truck and bigger - (under load) put out some
Motorhomes put out a lot
Boats - put out an incredible amount.

Magnets are the cheapest filter helper you can get and an excellent diagnostic tool

UD

Do they ever. Pretty sure the iron for a 50 hour run of a big block marine engine is still 50-60 ppm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back