Pork and sour crout: love it or hate it

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can say that I love this dish anytime of the year. My aunt is coming over in a bit to make her dumplings and some bone in pork chops and some Polish dishes. What say you folks?

I have relatives in PA who eat this for New years. We did it once while visiting them to go skiing at their time share. It was a nice change of pace and that turned out to be a pretty good year.

Nice!

When I hear sour_kraut, the first thing that comes to mind is bigos.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
I have relatives in PA who eat this for New years. We did it once while visiting them to go skiing at their time share. It was a nice change of pace and that turned out to be a pretty good year.

Pork and sauerkraut on New Year's day is a German tradition carried on by the Pa. Dutch considered to bring good luck for the coming year. My family has always had it, our tradition came from dad's side. Pork because pigs always root ahead symbolizing moving ahead to better things. Serving chicken on NYs is bad luck as chickens scratch backwards, not the way you want to go. Now you know courtesy of my grandmother...

Funny stuff, the censor nanny censored the word "kr4ut"..

Nah I just can't roll with this at all.. But hey I know everyone has what they like and that's a good thing.

Now for a real smoked ham... I do this..Spiral cut ham weighing between 8-10 lbs. This takes 2.5-3 hrs to smoke on the grill. Temps 300° or just slightly less.

The glaze is organic maple syrup 8-10 ozs... Organic brown sugar 2-3 cups.. ground cinnamon 1 tablespoon.. ground clove 1 teaspoon maybe 2, and a touch of nutmeg... Heat over medium high on stove top and mix them together until it starts to boil... As soon as it starts to boil and lift the skillet off the burner.. stir until it really slows down bubbling.. then return to burner... Then stir as it heats up again until it boils up again. After this pull off and brush on the spiral ham. I like to brush each individual slice front and back. This I have done for 3 dozen spiral hams that I have made for my family and friends.

Originally Posted By: tig1
We don't eat pork of any kind.

So indulge us. What do you eat then? We're capable of discussing other meats.

Perhaps it's the German heritage, but I'm always in the mood for anything and sauerkraut. This makes me want to cook some bone in pork chops in [censored] tomorrow! Side benefit is that Lauren is Polish and in Polish culture eating sauerkraut on New Year's Day will bring wealth in the coming year. Win win.

Cheers and happy new year everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
It could be religious which of course means he can't discuss it here.

And you would be correct.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Originally Posted By: tig1
We don't eat pork of any kind.

So indulge us. What do you eat then? We're capable of discussing other meats.

Beef, chicken, some types of fish. My wife is from Maine and when we go there we always enjoy the fresh fish we purchase from fresh fish markets. We just don't have that here in the heartland.

Pork roast, black eye peas, collard greens, corn bread...traditional southern New Years dinner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back