Purchased leftover 17 HR-V. Factory fill question

Status
Not open for further replies.
The build date on this thing is 3/17 and I know people say to run a complete OCI on the Honda factory fill. I'll be way past a year before I get there. Will it be ok to go past the year mark on the same oil?

I had the same dilemma with a 2017 Acura and decided to change the oil at the one year from production date, which was about 3,000 miles in my case. During the 9 months your HRV sat on the lot it has likely been moved around, taken on test drives, etc., none of which would really warm up the engine oil.

Plus, Honda really doesn't seem to emphasize leaving in the factory fill for a full OCI these days, so I figured it couldn't be that important. Of you want to hedge your bets, there is still high-Molybdenum Idemitsu Zepro 0w-20 available on Amazon: as molybdenum in the ff seems to be the reason Honda wants drivers to wait, this may be a good choice for the first change.

Oil in the sump really doesn't go bad from time.

I have one seldom used mower, the oil is over 10 years old.

My tree chipper oil is at least that. Same with my dump truck.

Why do you think a year matters in the slightest? It doesn't.

The OLM will tell you when to change.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Honda says interval is OLM or 1 year, whichever comes first. And the OLM isn't programmed to alert at them1 year mark.

Change the oil the breakin additives are for the first miles on the engine.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Honda says interval is OLM or 1 year, whichever comes first. And the OLM isn't programmed to alert at them1 year mark.

Honda doesn't expect you to go research the build date!!!

It's a year from time of purchase.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Change the oil the breakin additives are for the first miles on the engine.

That's another "old wive's tale"... I have seen speculation, but not proof.

The "complete OCI" in your case would be one year from now
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Honda doesn't expect you to go research the build date!!!

It's a year from time of purchase.

01.gif

Originally Posted By: SR5
The oil will be fine.

Nice car BTW
I like the look of the HRV, I hope you got a good deal.

Thanks, I got an ok deal on it but it had a lot of accessories on it plus tinted windows so it worked out (still under sticker). Only reason we bought it is because they stopped making Misty Green Pearl with the 6 speed manual starting with the '18 model. My wife hated every color available with the 6 speed, but she absolutely loves this color.

Last edited:
It's your car, do what makes you feel comfortable. The small $ amount of an OC doesn't matter in the life of the car. Give the oil to someone less fortunate if you want.

Good job keeping TOWMBO happy! Win/win

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back