Information sharing...Castrol's Personalised menu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I used to say

"Not everything's a conspiracy, only the important stuff
45.gif
"

Anyway, looking up lube recommendations tonight and got Castrol UK's personal menu...

That's pretty neat, your vehicle and registration shared with the lube companies...saves us all sorts of drama running our lives.

In Europe, you enter plate number and it leads to the vehicle model via the manufacturer type. On every parts or oil websites. It’s been years. Same at the local parts stores

Originally Posted By: Superflan
In Europe, you enter plate number and it leads to the vehicle model via the manufacturer type. On every parts or oil websites. It’s been years. Same at the local parts stores

I'd be unhappy about DMVs sharing information with parts companies. The VINs, on the other hand, can be relevant, especially if something switches in the middle of a model year, not to mention being able to assist those who have no idea what size engine they have.

I use the Castrol site at work, but as usual it's Aussie data based and not a lot of use in NZ. I enter the Rego in the Repco Navigator site and get all the infor on parts I need...and double check on the oil, several brands.

This has been a thing for years in the UK. One thing that enables it is that the reg number is constant for a given vehicle over its life and is registered with a national agency who sell this data to various bodies who can use it thus. Oil, tyres, batteries, all sorts of stuff where a choice is required use a similar lookup. Insurance too - simply tell them the reg number and they immediately know what car you have, what engine, what spec etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back