Small hand, big capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking about trading in my Ruger LCR in .357 for a larger capacity (10+) semi-auto. With all the dangers now prevalent in our society, my concern is now focused on having a more capable (in terms of capacity) firearm. My revolver no longer instills the confidence it once did.

I'm considering the Walther PPQ M2. 15 rd., 9mm. I have small hands (shorter fingers). I am looking at a higher capacity of 10+ and only in 9mm. The Glock 19 may be another consideration. Maybe the CZ75 as well? Reliability/accuracy is of prime concern as well.

Any ideas? Is my Walther choice a good small-hand fit? Yes....I know....I need to go out and try it first. But any ideas might help?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigj_16
You might want to look at the numerous autos with interchangeable backstraps.

Yes....thanks. That was one of the reasons I was going to try the Walther PPQ.

I have large hands/ long fingers and traded my CZ 75 for a beretta 92, which fits me perfectly. The CZ felt small in my hands so I would agree with it as a potential candidate.

No experience with the Walther but nearly everything I read is positive....

There are plenty of good semi auto's that work well for smaller hands. In fact, it is much easier to tell you which guns have a large grip and probably won't be a good choice for you, rather than the other way around.

I would avoid the beretta 92 series and it's clones. The grips are very fat and hard for short fingers to wrap around. I would also avoid the gen 3 and older glocks. The older HK pistols as well as double stack 1911's and a few more others will chime in on.

Excellent choices for smaller hands in a double stack magazine 9mm are the CZ series, most Walthers, most Rugers, the newer FN's, The m&p, and a bunch of others. The newest glocks, sigs, h&k's and XD's are fairly small, you would have to try to them to decide if they are small enough for you though.

Good luck and let us know what you end up getting!

Back in my Florida days, I had a mid 80s CZ75 for EDC, worked fine for me.

I hear that Beretta 92 series has steel slides but aluminum frames! Surely Military
M9 are all steel? Are there any all steel versions I can get?

I don't mind aluminum on Ar15s, but I was turned off by Walther P1 9mm with weak frames
that were later fitted with a steel insert later.

You don't need more bullets..you need more training. More bullets in the hands of someone that is not highly trained is a bad idea. (no disrespect).
The typical senario would be one person threatening or shooting some (probably not you) in your immediate vacinity. The usual course here is to get out of dodge. You are not trained to engage a shooter in an area where there are other folks.

If you actually think of possible realistic senarios (which no one does)..you will get it. Most consider the unrealistic senarios which occur in the same frequency as getting struck by lightening when going from your house to the car.

I feel very comfortable with 6 rounds in my G-42.

Last edited:
I have small hands. Glocks while fantastic guns, just don't fit me. I have the lcp, and an M+P shield, not high capacity. I do have a ruger p95 with a mecgar 17roung magazine, but its a bit large as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: i_hate_autofraud
I hear that Beretta 92 series has steel slides but aluminum frames! Surely Military
M9 are all steel? Are there any all steel versions I can get?

I don't mind aluminum on Ar15s, but I was turned off by Walther P1 9mm with weak frames
that were later fitted with a steel insert later.

You won't find anything with a steel frame in a Beretta 92 / M-9 series. They all have Aluminum frames. Even the Stainless Inox Models have Aluminum frames. Same for most of the Sigs. With the exception of the Stainless Elite Models. Now even they're going to Aluminum frames. If you want an all steel handgun, go with the CZ-75's. They're still manufactured from all steel, in either carbon or Stainless. Both in polished or matte finished.

Many will argue Aluminum frames are "just as good". But having spent my entire working life in the metal working and machining trades, you'll never convince me of it. Aluminum is extremely soft, and machines like butter. Which is why the manufacturers love it. Tooling lasts much longer, and higher surface speeds and feed rates can be utilized, cutting manufacturing time and cost substantially. And even when it's hard anodized, the coating is only a few tenths, (.0002), thick. I much prefer all steel in a handgun, like the CZ-75's and Government 1911's. Browning Hi-Power's are also manufactured from all steel. But they are no longer in production. But you can still find them plentiful on the used market.

I have a Q M2. It fits well for my medium sized hands. It's very intuitive. I enjoy it. The accuracy isn't as good as I would like (mostly due to barrel length). For concealed carry it's my go to at the moment. If you have an specific questions about it feel free to PM me.

In 1987 I chose a SIG P226 as my first handgun because the Walther felt small in my hand. Fast forward 30 years and I'm now all-in on Walther as I love their quality and reliability. I have the Q5 Match and PPQs chambered in 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP. They all have superb ergonomics, triggers, accuracy, and the reliability that I demand. I carry the PPS LE for EDC as it comes with 6-rd, 7-rd, and 8-rd mags. I use the 8-rd mag since it gives my larger hand somewhere to put my little finger. And I carry the 7-rd mag as backup for 15 total rounds +1 in the chamber. Having said that, I do concur with Al about training and realistic scenarios.

Bottom line: find a PPQ with the small backstrap installed and see how it feels. It may still feel too big for your hand. Then check out a PPS and you will see a noticeable difference in size. It may fit the bill if 9 + 7 rounds is suitable for you.

Good luck in your quest.

Spend the money and get a GREEN laser grip for the gun.
Green lasers are visible during the day.
I would hate to be up against a .357 with a green laser sighted on me.
Six rounds is plenty unless your battling off a drug cartel in which you'd be dead anyways.

I have about a 11.5 size hand. Not huge, but on the large end. I have never liked bulky grips on a handgun. I think it is just easier for me to shoot a handgun with smaller grips.

I have about a 11.5 size hand. Not huge, but on the large end. I have never liked bulky grips on a handgun. I think it is just easier for me to shoot a handgun with smaller grips.

Definitely true. Makes for holding the firearm better.

I have about a 11.5 size hand.

I didn't even know hands came in numerical sizes. Just S, M, L, EXL, like the gloves you buy to wear on them.

Originally Posted By: Al
You don't need more bullets..you need more training. More bullets in the hands of someone that is not highly trained is a bad idea. (no disrespect).
The typical senario would be one person threatening or shooting some (probably not you) in your immediate vacinity. The usual course here is to get out of dodge. You are not trained to engage a shooter in an area where there are other folks.

If you actually think of possible realistic senarios (which no one does)..you will get it. Most consider the unrealistic senarios which occur in the same frequency as getting struck by lightening when going from your house to the car.

I feel very comfortable with 6 rounds in my G-42.

No...I understand about the training. But I tend to travel around my general area quite a bit and as such encounter a lot of possible scenarios that leave me a bit concerned if I was to be under equipped in capacity and distance. I certainly don't intend on having a firefight with a gang....but with a wife to protect on our local travels, I'd just feel better with something more than a snub nose and five shots.

Every time you fire that weapon at someone, you better have a proper excuse for every squeeze of that trigger. Also keep in-mind that 10+ shots fired could mean 10+ different lawsuit lawyers knocking on your door.

Also, the number of shots fired in a conflict is most-cases 3. So think twice.... even three times, about getting rid of your conceal .357, unless your hand hurts every time you fire that itsy-bitsy revolver with those .357 loads.

Originally Posted By: CaptA
In 1987 I chose a SIG P226 as my first handgun because the Walther felt small in my hand. Fast forward 30 years and I'm now all-in on Walther as I love their quality and reliability. I have the Q5 Match and PPQs chambered in 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP. They all have superb ergonomics, triggers, accuracy, and the reliability that I demand. I carry the PPS LE for EDC as it comes with 6-rd, 7-rd, and 8-rd mags. I use the 8-rd mag since it gives my larger hand somewhere to put my little finger. And I carry the 7-rd mag as backup for 15 total rounds +1 in the chamber. Having said that, I do concur with Al about training and realistic scenarios.

Bottom line: find a PPQ with the small backstrap installed and see how it feels. It may still feel too big for your hand. Then check out a PPS and you will see a noticeable difference in size. It may fit the bill if 9 + 7 rounds is suitable for you.

Good luck in your quest.

Paid a visit today to Bass Pro and tried out the feel of a few weapons. The PPQ M2 was BEAUTIFUL in my hand! It had the small back strap on it and fit perfectly well. Raising up to line of sight was intuitive as well. Not sure how that might feel with a full mag though.

Also tried the Glock 19. It felt really fat...especially in the meaty palm of my hand. Almost like it had a lump on the back of the grip. Fine weapon, but didn't feel right for my hand. Tried some Berettas and S&M's....but those didn't feel good either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back