i think i screwed up...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a trans fluid exchange on my brothers new 08 fusion with the 5 speed and used merconV because the dipstick said M V on the top.... now looking online and tig1 says it takes FNR-5 ATF. did i screw up? shifts and drives fine...

While you might not experience any immediate effect, who knows what the long-term effects will be. If it was MY car, I'd replace the fluid with the correct stuff ASAP.

The FNR5 uses Ford-badged Mobil 3309 which is also sold as Toyota T-IV. That's what I used in my niece's '08 Fusion for many years.

I have used Castrol, Mobil1 and Red Line ATFs on my car, never had any issues

Hate to break it to you but you are incorrect. The "M V" doesn't stand for Mercon V, it stands for Type M5. You can see this by looking up their MES number (117C as shown on that page).

Mazda has stated that their Type M5 transmission fluid is not Mercon V under bulletin: "CORRECT APPLICATIONS FOR ATF M-V (TYPE M5) AND MERCON®V AUTO-MATIC TRANSMISSION FLUIDS", which discusses that some of their cars use Mercon V and some use Type M5 and to use the right fluid for the right car.

Quote:

DESCRIPTION
Always be sure to use the correct automatic transmission fluid when replacing ATF. Using the wrong ATF may
cause shift quality complaints or may even damage the transmission.
NOTE:
• ATF M-V (TYPE M5) IS NOT THE SAME FLUID AS MERCON®V ATF.
• ATF M-V (TYPE M5) HAS A GREATER VISCOSITY THAN MERCON®V ATF IN LOW TEMPERA-
TURES.
• ATF M-V (TYPE M5) HAS A GREATER ANTI-JUDDER SPECIFICATION THAN MERCON®V ATF.
CAUTION:
• USING ATF OTHER THAN ATF M-V (TYPE M5) IN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS
DESIGNED TO USE ATF M-V (TYPE M5) MAY CAUSE SHIFT QUALITY COMPLAINTS.
• USING ATF OTHER THAN MERCON®V IN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS DESIGNED TO
USE MERCON®V MAY CAUSE TRANSMISSION DAMAGE.

Mazda caused all kinds of grief by naming the fluid ATF-MV, which is why they renamed for clarification to ATF-M5 - you'll read all over the internet about people putting Mercon-V in their transmission due to the confusion. If Mazda took the time to create a bulletin about it, might be best to flush the Mercon-V out and put Mazda M5 in.

Originally Posted By: ozric
Mazda caused all kinds of grief by naming the fluid ATF-MV, which is why they renamed for clarification to ATF-M5 - you'll read all over the internet about people putting Mercon-V in their transmission due to the confusion. If Mazda took the time to create a bulletin about it, might be best to flush the Mercon-V out and put Mazda M5 in.

What a bonehead move!

Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
Im good basically its a mazda transmission which takes MerconV.

No, it does not. It takes Mazda M5...completely different fluid than Ford Mercon V.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord

No, it does not. It takes Mazda M5...completely different fluid than Ford Mercon V.

Pull this up by the vin on the ford website... MerconV

Last edited:

I think you will find that where this says "Motorcraft MV" that's the spec # for the Mazda trans, not Mercon V. The correct ATF for you trans is FNR-5. When I started using M1 ATF it had the Mazda MV rating. A year or so later M1 dropped the Mazda and other OEM ratings. I called Mobil tech and they told me there are too many hoops to jump through to continue all the various OEM ratings. But they also told me the M1 ATF will work great in my FNR-5 spec'd trans, which has been the case for the last 200K.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1

I think you will find that where this says "Motorcraft MV" that's the spec # for the Mazda trans, not Mercon V. The correct ATF for you trans is FNR-5. When I started using M1 ATF it had the Mazda MV rating. A year or so later M1 dropped the Mazda and other OEM ratings. I called Mobil tech and they told me there are too many hoops to jump through to continue all the various OEM ratings. But they also told me the M1 ATF will work great in my FNR-5 spec'd trans, which has been the case for the last 200K.
ill double check out chart we have in parts on tuesday, but id say the trans shifts better now.

So to throw an absolute wrench in the works, Ford recently had XT-9-QMM5 aka FNR5 fluid, update to Mercon V. Mazda however insists you must use M5 fluid in their 5 speed auto.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
So to throw an absolute wrench in the works, Ford recently had XT-9-QMM5 aka FNR5 fluid, update to Mercon V. Mazda however insists you must use M5 fluid in their 5 speed auto.
thts what i thought. The chart we have in parts i think said MerconV. The trans i think shifts better. Still does have a slight flare from first to second when cold. Moms trans (6f35) in her fusion has a similar flare from 2nd-3rd when cold.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Ya it caused mass confusion in parts land when that came out. There was no statement or anything just the part number superseded.
our parts guy i think said MerconV, ill take a pic of the chat when i go in tues morning.

I spent an inordinate amount of time last night trying to figure out what engine is in my friend's 2008 mini cooper convertible; I thought, "This is the most confusion caused by a car company I've ever seen."

Then I read this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back