Maytag Washer Transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1988 Maytag washer that has never had one issue in 30 years. I recently pulled it out and found oil/grease on the floor, and also have oil coated on the under panel of the machine where the belts are.

Has anyone replaced the transmission seal on these and how much work was it? Hate to buy a new one as everything else is working fine.

I have had good success with these folks. They have schematics and sometimes videos to do it yourself. You'll need to plug in your model and serial numbers.

Good luck! I finally replaced a Maytag earlier this year that was about 22 years old. It had a bad internal bearing; there were 3 that it could have been and I replaced the easiest to get to, but no change in the noise.

Found a virtually new Speed Queen on CL for about half the price of a new one.

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/

There is a website called Samurai appliance repair. They are really sharp and will diagnose an appliance problem for a small Paypal fee. In my case I had no heat on a gas dryer. A bird had built a nest in the outlet outside the home. The overheating caused a tiny over temp limiter in the hot air duct to blow. The limiter was a tiny bit of plastic with 2 terminals, once it overheated that was it. I doubt that I would have figured that out without help.

By seal you mean what is typically a large rubber gasket between the transmission and the tub?

I have a 2012 GE washer where that part failed and the water that made it down into the transmission killed the bearings, making it necessary to get a new trans for around $140. The trans included a new gasket and I believe a new shaft nut. I imagine the repair I did on mine would be similar to yours.

It's a lot of work since you pretty much have to remove the tub, which then requires a large tool that can remove/install the shaft nut. I had my washer out of commission for 10 days while I waited for parts and such.

I used the opportunity to replace the steel tub bearing which required a slide hammer with an improvised tip to pull it out. Very tight friction fit.

Originally Posted By: Donald
New washer. More energy efficient.

Gotta disagree with you there. A late 80s Maytag is basically a tank of an appliance and some cheap repairs will make it last another 30 years easily.

Plus the newer side loading machines use less water, which does save on utility bills, but does not clean as well.

Not sure I'd replace a transmission on a 30 year old (or frankly any age) machine. Time for a new Speed Queen or Whirlpool top loader.

Thanks for the input...I would not bother to replace the transmission , but I would do the seal it that was what is leaking. I have not looked at schematics, so dont know anything of the design.

As for new machines more efficient, maybe, but I only do 1-2 loads per week-

If I went with new, would front load or top load be best? Did some quick research and pros and cons to each design..

BTW still have my 30 year old Maytag dryer and Dishwasher. Had to replace the dishwasher door seal as i got rock hard with age.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
I have a 1988 Maytag washer that has never had one issue in 30 years. I recently pulled it out and found oil/grease on the floor, and also have oil coated on the under panel of the machine where the belts are.

Has anyone replaced the transmission seal on these and how much work was it? Hate to buy a new one as everything else is working fine.

Sounds like the lower trans oil seal.

Common issue, fortunately post 1986 Maytags have a press fit lip seal the can be easily replaced from below without tearing apart the trans. Definitely worth repairing, nothing on the market today is built like they were.
Looks like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LIP-SEAL-FOR-MAYTAG-207843/302500799294?
epid=6008005072&hash=item466e73e33e:g:9IIAAOSwB3BZ8Ix9

https://www.google.com/search?client=saf.....0.m24WCx9Y4l0

Which transmission does it have, orbital or helical? What model #? ( ID tag will be on the top back of the control panel). Orbital looks like round ball, helical is a heavy flat cast aluminum housing. A 1988 model I'm guessing helical but I believe they use the same oil seal.

Probably a good idea to remove the front panel and have a look around, remove the two screws at the bottom and the panel swings out and up.

Its the helical trans...Model is LA512 Series 04

Good to know its an easy fix...

D0M58bm.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back