Cold weather wear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy New Year guys. What do you guys wear to handle the cold?

We were invited to play some hockey yesterday (something I've been wanting to try actually), but time did not allow with our existing plans. It occurred to me that we don't have any winter wear for this sort of thing nor do I know really what to wear. Single digits and jeans just don't cut it. Under Armour or something similar perhaps?

If I am just working outside, I have some off brand coveralls that I wear with a thick fleece jacket. If it's single digits, I add a hooded Berne (Carhartt knockoff). I received both for free.. Can't complain and I don't get upset when I get oil on them. Perhaps the Under Armour stuff would help here too? Thanks in advance.

By the way, I don't recommend the Berne coat for actual purchase. To say my coat is a disappointment is a bit harsh considering what I paid for it, but it has multiple tears already.

In my opinion any thing below 60*f is freezing
eek.gif
. Long johns and pack on the layers as neededd

I like a layer of long johns pants and long sleve shirt. Followed by insulated jeans and a long sleve flannel. On top I usually top that with a fleece and then a carhart with hand warmers in the pockets. If you are in snow or wind i recommend some plastic pants over the jeans.

For boots and socks I wear some thick thigh high socks and my waterproof ariat boots. On my head I wear a north face beanie i got on sale. Gloves are usually jerseys along with hand warmers unless I go ski or something then I have some waterproof ones from walmart.

Layering is best as you can shed layers as you get hot. With hockey or skiing you will likely get hot in what i described even into single digits.

Last edited:
What usually works for me is wool socks- LJ bottoms- two sweatshirts (one with a hood) and a thick-knit hat + gloves. I don't do a LJ top unless I know I'm going to be outside for a long time (like at a football game).

I live in FL, so I really struggle in cold weather when working up North, which I do regularly. The only thing that works for me is to put an XL gore-tex windbreaker over the top of my down (or other warm) jacket. Motorcycle gauntlet gloves and if it's really cold, windbreaker pants over my pants.

I do not have good luck with layers of long garments under my jacket and pants. As the airflow and wind from working outside at the airport gets right in and I can't get warm. The secret is to eliminate any airflow at the surface.

Years ago, I was given a well insulated flight jacket from NASA. It was from the 1960's, a cold weather variation of the MA-1 jacket, in addition to being silver Nylon, it had a distinctly applied silver waterproof coating on the outside. And a vertical tight collar with corduroy inside. I've never found anything as good. It was simple, waterproof/windproof/fit well and comfortable. I could ride motorcycles in freezing weather without any cold air getting in. I wore it until it fell apart.

Get yourself some ski pants. They are lightweight, flexible and will keep you warm.
Much better than the heavy, stiff duck cotton coveralls from yesteryear.

At first I thought this was about "cold weather (engine) wear".
But nope; it's cold weather clothing for people.
I'm such a gearhead ...

Last edited:
Guess Im lucky as I usually run hot. -20 celsius and i have a tshirt and sweater on (for short times in the cold). Layering is best if outside. To be honest I do usually just wear jeans or pants. The key is also to keep moving if playing hockey. Long johns underneath or sweat pants on top of a tighter fitting pair of pants. Bring more layers then u need in case you need them.

Last edited:
If I have to do anything outside at 0f or below I have a Russian wax cotton coverall that is amazing, just a T shirt under it and you are really warm, at +20f its getting hot. The only drawback is the weight, its heavy, the quality is impeccable, 12 yrs no damage to the material, zippers or seams.

By far the best bang for the buck in my experience is a light weight polypropylene balaclava. Last time I bought one it was about $6 at campmor.com. Adds about 10 degrees of comfort with virtually no weight and no restriction of movement. Most of your heat is lost through the head and neck. A necessity for any winter backcountry sports too.

Boots - Good for -30* F
Jeans - Flannel lined (just started wearing them this Winter / they are GREAT)
Light Jacket - Fleece (under Winter coat)

Layer up and stay active.
As you get too warm, remove some clothing.

Firewood - Warms you twice.
Once when you cut it, again when you burn it.

Last edited:
I have a Marmot down coat with likely fake fur hood that does real well. -10F with a tee shirt under I am warm.

I also have a Carhart Canvas Coat and wear a EMS midweight Hoodie and quite toasty. I have a pair of waterproof thin North Face windpants I wear over pants, PJ's whatever and Sorrel boots. My face I have a real animal fur full cap(cOYOTE) from Canada and fine.

Gloves I have Flynn leather work insulate gloves from a truck stop (forgot ski gloves) and drop in hand warmers. I also own a pair of these for cold skiing but $$$$ https://tinyurl.com/ya4yp3fd

You sound like a recent transplant to the midwest, not knowing how to deal with the cold.

Next to my skin I like silk. Incredibly warm and other layers slide rather than bind/bunch up when you move. Won't absorb sweat like cotton either.

If you insist on jeans, they need to be flannel lined and oversized to account for the added bulk. If you're not able to freely move, you'll end up like Randy...

Head & neck warmth is critical the colder it gets when you're not active in particular.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I'm such a gearhead ...

Thanks for not moving my thread to the PCMO sub forum.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
You sound like a recent transplant to the midwest, not knowing how to deal with the cold.

Next to my skin I like silk. Incredibly warm and other layers slide rather than bind/bunch up when you move. Won't absorb sweat like cotton either.

If you insist on jeans, they need to be flannel lined and oversized to account for the added bulk. If you're not able to freely move, you'll end up like Randy...

Head & neck warmth is critical the colder it gets when you're not active in particular.

I've lived here my whole life.

My biggest concern was something that allows movement, but is also warm. My biggest thing about working outside is getting sweaty when say hauling wood and then getting chilled.. and eventually sick. Used to happen to me all the time, but now I've learned to not overdo it. Not much into hunting in the cold either for this very reason.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I'm such a gearhead ...

Haha me too :p I was expecting this thread to be about cold "startup wear"
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: andrewg
North Face down parka.

Been a fan long before they were the "trendy" status item to wear...

Have both fleeces and a down coat. Also love my columbia stuff as well...

Can wear a t shirt under all that.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back