2008 Tundra - need recommendations....

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. I'm dumb about oil.
2. I want to do 10,000 mile oil changes...
3. I want spend $25 on my oil changes that I do myself.
4. I found Pen plat ultra for $14 on sale at walmart, regular pen plat $12
5. I need an oil filter that won't break my budget - I never considered filters that are over $7 but maybe I should?
6. I'm not a "reader", but I'm good for a couple paragraphs.
7. I drive my tundra gingerly to save fuel
8. any benefit to mobil 1 extended performance over that Penzoil for my usage and interval?

recommendations?

Last edited:
Fram Tough Guard, rated for 10,000 miles. Easy to find at your local WalMart.

Last edited:
That's the one filter I'll stay away from just because I've seen a bunch of videos online that show they have no endcaps so dirty oil can just flow into the motor if the little seal breaks... Maybe that doesn't matter... I dunno but I'm still scared away...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Joekar
That's the one filter I'll stay away from just because I've seen a bunch of videos online that show they have no endcaps so dirty oil can just flow into the motor if the little seal breaks... Maybe that doesn't matter... I dunno but I'm still scared away...

Scared of the OEM filter? OK. Use any filter that is rated 10K+ on the box. Use any oil that is rated for 10K+ miles. Easy

Originally Posted By: Joekar

Troll alert..

What does the owners manual recommend? The best you could get is marketing claims and regurgitated marketing claims presented as facts

I have an 07 Tundra, original owner, 156k, with the 5.7.

I have been doing 10k intervals since 60k, use mobil 1 0w20 oil and whatever filter. Napa gold, fram, toyota, any one seems fine.

Doubt you are going to do a 25 dollar change, unless you use conventional oil and no filter. Truck takes 7.5 quarts of oil, so unless you found
Idemitsu oil for .65 a quart, I would say you re looking at 50 bucks for synthetic oil and a new filter.

I would go to walmart, buy 3 five quart containers of Mobil1, and two filters. Two changes for probably 95-100 bucks.

You get get valvoline for 22 compared to mobil1 25.00

Originally Posted By: 93cruiser
I have an 07 Tundra, original owner, 156k, with the 5.7.

I have been doing 10k intervals since 60k, use mobil 1 0w20 oil and whatever filter. Napa gold, fram, toyota, any one seems fine.

Doubt you are going to do a 25 dollar change, unless you use conventional oil and no filter. Truck takes 7.5 quarts of oil, so unless you found
Idemitsu oil for .65 a quart, I would say you re looking at 50 bucks for synthetic oil and a new filter.

I would go to walmart, buy 3 five quart containers of Mobil1, and two filters. Two changes for probably 95-100 bucks.

You get get valvoline for 22 compared to mobil1 25.00

He's a troll, don't bother putting too much thought into this.. lol

Last edited:
He's a troll, don't bother putting too much thought into this.. lol

You think his name being "joekar" and his profession being "Obgyn" gave it away
lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back