Douglas County Deputies down

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to live right down the street from here. Very nice neighborhood. This is right across the street from Centennial city limits and Arapahoe County. Patrol is under contract to Douglas County Sheriff's.

Last edited:
Holiday demons are out in force this year. Anyone with enough time to waste following national news like me has seem an unusual number of weird crimes popping up all over the country in the past week. This is the biggie, so far...

A real shame. My wife works right there and couldn't get into work this morning, area shut down. Prayers to the amazing Douglas Sheriffs department and their families.

Over 100 rifle rounds from suspect. Three Douglas County Deputies wounded, One Castle Rock PD Officer wounded, One DC Deputy passed. 29 years old, wife, two kids.

Last edited:
What possesses people to engage in this sort of act?
I've known a number of cops over the years and those that I've known have been honest and motivated folks.
Why would anyone consider it a good idea to target deputies who are just out doing their jobs with a rifle?
That the perp is dead is fine, but it might have been better had he been taken alive and put away on multiple mandatory terms for murder. Don't know what the law is in CO, but here, attempted is as good as completed when it comes to the indictment and the sentencing and with multiple victims, the cumulative minimum time before a parole hearing would have come some years after the perp's own demise and it's not as though the guy would have gotten paroled on his first date anyway.
Death represents an end while a high security prison is a living death that ends only when an offender dies of natural causes.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
What possesses people to engage in this sort of act?

Alcohol would be my guess. +- a serious case of crazy.

I'd suspect the crazy came before the alcohol turbocharged it.
Lots of serious personality disorders out there.
Throw in the easy availability of firearms, you know, a Second Amendment right, and you end up with a young man with a wife and a couple of kind laying in a cooler in a morgue.
Lots of lessons we could learn from this and similar tragedies, but that would require that we take a serious look at both our mental health system as well as the qualifications required to purchase firearms.
We need to open our minds a bit on both mental health problems and firearms possession.

I understand and to an extent condone suicide. Unassisted. Your life is yours to do with as you wish. But not suicide by cop or SWAT team.

It looks as if this guy had a grudge against DC Sheriff's, among others, and set this situation up as an ambush. They may have been anticipating this, as the ones that showed at the 0500 call were the Quick Response Unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back