Valvoline vo-88 filter...VIOC oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
got too cold to crawl under the vehicle to do oil change...took it to local valvoline instant oil change shop; they used 5w-20 conventional & a vo-88 filter...e-core with funky dual baseplate; doppleganger to an ac-delco p48e but with white paint; just thought I'd share...

Originally Posted By: kmrcstintn
got too cold to crawl under the vehicle to do oil change...took it to local valvoline instant oil change shop; they used 5w-20 conventional & a vo-88 filter...e-core with funky dual baseplate; doppleganger to an ac-delco p48e but with white paint; just thought I'd share...

It should work OK.

The "new" style E-cores seem to be better built now.

Are you going to specify a certain one (or bring your own) next time?

yeah i broke down and bought a Defense Ecore the other day because they were on sale, figure i'll run it and then cut it open and see how it does, thought i dont' recall ever having an issue with an e-core but i never ran extended oil changes back when i used them (old supertechs)

I'm thinking that unlike the mentioned ACDelco PF48e which use a separate poppet type bypass in the dome, the vo-88 use a combo valve. So not exactly a clone.

Also seems that unlike WM TLE Fram "Core" line which has gone to all Fram construction now (no ecore), places like VOIC and Firestone OC still using either the old fram/champ combination line or has gone to all Champ now, like the old Super Tech line. Here the AZ STP blue filters are still the old fram filtration fram/champ filter line.

Here's a recent yt of an unused topic V0-88.

So would you run these for short OCIs?

There's a listing on eBay for 12 for $22 and free shipping.

Originally Posted By: copcarguy
So would you run these for short OCIs?

There's a listing on eBay for 12 for $22 and free shipping.
If you kept them to 5K or less, on a clean engine, they'd likely be fine, they would be good for cleaning out a sludged engine.

The filter will run 5000 miles/ 6 months.

It has the capacity for the V6 engines. So should be good on your 4 cylinder.

Last edited:
thanks for the yt video of the virgin cut filter! someone asked a ??? about bringing my own...if my next oci (4-4.5k) is during winter I will seek out a shop that does it less expensively ($36.99 regular oil change at VIOC - $7 coupon = $29.99) and I will bring one of my supertech filters as a backup if shop uses tearolator filters; the combo valve on the vo-88 not such a big deal since filter mounts vertically on the bottom of my engine...

Did they use Valvoline Premium in bulk? If so, the $30 would be about $3 for overhead, $7 for labor, $3 for the Filter, and $17 for oil. Giving VIOC $10 for doing it is probably not too bad.

... the combo valve on the vo-88 not such a big deal since filter mounts vertically on the bottom of my engine.

Still want the bypass function of the combo valve to work, that's the part of the combo valve that's questionable. Filter orientation has no effect on the bypass function.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
... the combo valve on the vo-88 not such a big deal since filter mounts vertically on the bottom of my engine.

Still want the bypass function of the combo valve to work, that's the part of the combo valve that's questionable. Filter orientation has no effect on the bypass function.

What proof exists the bypass does not work?

Originally Posted By: WellOiled

No hard proof ... but think about nitrile rubber at 0 deg F and how it stiffens up. The combo valve's bypass function is dependent on the flexibility of the rubber. I'd rather have a metal spring that isn't affected by temperature.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled

No hard proof ... but think about nitrile rubber at 0 deg F and how it stiffens up. The combo valve's bypass function is dependent on the flexibility of the rubber. I'd rather have a metal spring that isn't affected by temperature.

This is a debate that needs a proper test in order to resolve it. I would love to see a bypass pressure vs temperature plot on this valve.

When I look closely at this valve, the primary force to be overcome would be leaf spring force transmitted through the nylon core to the flat ring of nitrile covering the 6 small holes. The PD oil pump should have little trouble overcoming the resistance of the lip formed in the nitrile even if a little stiff.

If what you are saying is true, we should be seeing a few collapsed cores and we don’t. It seems collapsed core events are rare. The ones I have seen were not eCores.

A mystery that may never be answered.

The average annual lows in Bismarck, ND is 2.2F. It was -17F in Fargo, ND this morning. Maybe we’ll get a collapsed core to look at.
wink.gif

The combo valve in this Valvoline filter is a different setup than say the combo valve in a WIX made filter. In any case, the delta-p across the media is supposed to "flex" or move the rubber in order for oil to bypass. In any case, I'd think super cold weather would have some effect on what the delta-p was in order to make the rubber do it's thing. And could be filters with a combo valve might have more risk of media damage in super cold weather use.

WellOiled, I doubt the polymer core of an eCore would collapse due to design & flexibility of the polymer cage. The Square Window Failure phenomenon seen with Gen 1 eCores and polymer core cutting into the media as seen in some cartridge style filters resembling eCore elements is far more likely.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
WellOiled, I doubt the polymer core of an eCore would collapse due to design & flexibility of the polymer cage. The Square Window Failure phenomenon seen with Gen 1 eCores and polymer core cutting into the media as seen in some cartridge style filters resembling eCore elements is far more likely.

Nyogtha - Good point. I agree, it would be nearly impossible to collapse the core. As you say, a cut media the size of the window is more likely.

I was referring to what the industry calls “collapsed filter”.
Collapsed Core tsb

Champ Labs had one but removed it from their site.

As I understand it, it would require a bypass stuck closed and dP across the element sufficient to move and tear or cut the media. Most manufacturers would state poor maintenance.

I have not seen an eCore since the enhanced cage with this failure mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back