Fess up! Who doesn't change their own oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
Just curious if you don't change your own oil...why? Weather? Live in an apartment? Don't want to get dirty?

One oil change in 33 years so far done by the dealer.

Novated Lease, Vehicle in Warranty and Capped price service...am trying to fashion a workaround, as back in 2003, with the Nissan, I did my own oil changes, and a mechanic did the balance of the service. Lease company is different this time.

I can only remember having my oil changed by someone else one time. I was away from home at college and driving a 300zx that I could't crawl under.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Just curious if you don't change your own oil...why? Weather? Live in an apartment? Don't want to get dirty?
Many folks are disabled in the USA,, its not all cut and dried out here...

I've mostly done my own oil changes, including now.

But for awhile I was working two jobs and some times away from home for extended periods, during this time I sometimes got the local independent garage to change my oil for me. The car was still being driven by my wife.

They did a good job and used Valvoline DuraBlend 10W40 semi-synthetic (SN & A3/B4).

As long as I am physically able I will be the only person changing my oil. Warranty or not. Dealer freebie or not. The hassle associated with it, risk of a screw up, and time taken away from my day to have someone else do it isn't worth it to me. Opinions vary.

If i'm taking the car in for other service coinciding with the oci, I let the shop do the oil.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
As long as I am physically able I will be the only person changing my oil. Warranty or not. Dealer freebie or not. The hassle associated with it, risk of a screw up, and time taken away from my day to have someone else do it isn't worth it to me. Opinions vary.

This^^

About 12 years ago I was making good money and thought my time was better spent … breaking down in a pickup with just over 60k (past warranty) due to a rear end oil failure (Shell quick lube did at 30k) got me back all DIY …

Last edited:
If I can crawl under I do it.
My trk I do.
The car no.I take my own oil and filter to my mechanic and they charge $12.
I don't like jacks or ramps on my slanted driveway.

Great points demarpaint and 4wd...
And very good question Dishdude.

True story here guys... A lady I work with has had 2 and yes I say 2 vehicles with blown up motors from oil changes gone bad. I about fell over when she told me about that... Talk about bad luck and true foolishness.

As for me... Even with me having multiple sclerosis I have done my own oil changes since 2001. It is not always been easy buy I actually enjoy doing it. Plus other stuff has well. I live in apartment now. So oil changes are done under the cover of night. Very quietly I might add as well. Ohh and speaking of very late night early am out changes... Glad I got those done two weeks ago before it got bone chilling cold out here.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dallas69
If I can crawl under I do it.
My trk I do.
The car no.I take my own oil and filter to my mechanic and they charge $12.
I don't like jacks or ramps on my slanted driveway.

That’s a good safety moment ~ my son thought he was clever backing his car up the slope and putting his ramps in front. I pointed out that even with the car near level and the front wheels “pocketed” in the ramp … the back tires still rest on the slope.
Off we went to town and got two HD wheel chocks … and we did a parking brake and separate chock test beforehand …

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Exactly the way I feel.

My friend's son lived/lives in condos where you are forbidden from working on cars.
A few years back I helped him do fluids and asked if it was OK. He said, "It isn't but EFF them". It's good to be young.
I quietly mentioned to the lad that in this day and age people simply pick up the phone and call the police {even if it is not a police matter}.

Where he is now he checked and it is an ordinance. He does it legally (somewhere private) or has it done.

Since I bought my first rolling pile of junk in 1987 I've had 2 oil changes I didn't do, both dealer freebies on this '14 RAV4. I actually did the first OC @ 5k to change out the FF since Toyota calls for 10k OCIs. PITA since the dealer is an hour away but thought I should have them on record.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back