Which diff oil for an Infiniti Q50 hybrid

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just picked up a 3 year old Infiniti Q50 hybrid with 30k km on the clock. The hybrid is such an underrated car. Its possibly the fastest hybrid this side of a Tesla.

Since we picked this up secondhand we want to do a diff oil change even though its suppose to be maintenance free.

Amsoil website states it can use severe gear oil GL5 75W90 or 75W110.

Which one should we use?

Last edited:
Interesting car. 4.9s 0-60 is quick.

Does the manual give you any clues?

My suspicions are that a 75w-90 sun would be good, and you can't beat SVG.

I really like the Q50. Nice looking sedan. I would check nissans specs since the car is likely under warranty. I may even be inclined to buy the gear oil from the dealership.

Last edited:
Manual says the diff oil is in for life. The 75w-90 SVG is cheap and its easy to change. This gives me piece of mind knowing that the metal particles are removed early.

Yeah its a quick car for a hybrid and I'm getting on average about 6.5litres/100km (approx 36 MPG) in city driving.
Lots of torque at very low RPM (combine total torque something like 550Nm)

Last edited:
Just completed the diff oil change, used Amsoil 75w90 Severe gear oil. The original diff oil was of fine silvery metal particles which was expected. the magnet was also full of metal particles clinging to it.

Originally Posted By: MVAust
Just completed the diff oil change, used Amsoil 75w90 Severe gear oil. The original diff oil was of fine silvery metal particles which was expected. the magnet was also full of metal particles clinging to it.

These are indications of 'inadequate' operating viscosity .... and is best served by upping a viscosity grade or two, never mind OEM recommendation who supposedly knows best.

Originally Posted By: zeng
Originally Posted By: MVAust

These are indications of 'inadequate' operating viscosity .... and is best served by upping a viscosity grade or two, never mind OEM recommendation who supposedly knows best.

As this is the first time the diff oil has been changed, I expected the wear in metals suspended in the diff oil.
Majority of the dealers and owners don't even change the diff oil for the life of the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back